How many sets of traffic lights?

AirTime
AirTime Posts: 30
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Righty, i'll get the ball rolling...
From my front door to work (12 miles), I go through 78 sets of traffic lights! stop/start/stop/start/stop/start..............
Guess where I work...?
Who can beat that?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    We had a poll a while back.

I had none then, and even after moving work and home... I have none now :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    I used to have 75 in just under 10 miles, but now much less after moving house and changing route. It really is worth looking at other longer but faster routes - you must be spending 20-30minutes each way sat at lights.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • AirTime
    AirTime Posts: 30
    ah dam! i thought i'd thought of something very original here!
    thing is i have to travel right through the centre of london to get to my work so inevitably have the problem of traffic lights after traffic lights.
    i'm going to try and do a different route to see if i can cut these down...
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    rjsterry wrote:
    I used to have 75 in just under 10 miles, but now much less after moving house and changing route. It really is worth looking at other longer but faster routes - you must be spending 20-30minutes each way sat at lights.

I would like to know how many I have, but my mind wanders off and I forget to count...
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    AirTime wrote:
    ah dam! i thought i'd thought of something very original here!
    thing is i have to travel right through the centre of london to get to my work so inevitably have the problem of traffic lights after traffic lights.
    i'm going to try and do a different route to see if i can cut these down...

When I was younger, I "raced" a motorbike courier from Goodge Street to Goswell Road & I was in a car - I won quite simply on the fact that I hit the rat runs and did 10 less sets of traffic lights between the two locations and he just went New Oxford/Theobalds/Clerkenwell...
    Unfortunately they've shut a lot of the short-cuts these days :(
  • WesternWay wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I would like to know how many I have, but my mind wanders off and I forget to count...

Spot on! I have been on the same route for years and still have no idea...

Maybe gmaps will help me...
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Over 100 sets of lights on a 15mile commute.
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    7 miles, no lights (office is 10 yards before the only set!) :)

MM
  • klirk
    klirk Posts: 13
    I was thinking the same a while ago, but stopped counting around 50.
    I should guess around 70 lights on a 7 miles commute. It really is annoying sometimes.
  • WesternWay wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Spot on! I have been on the same route for years and still have no idea...

I got bored.

I don't think it's more than 30 over 10 miles, though I do divert to avoid them.
  • Four lights, a ped and a toucan.
    Not a film by Richard Curtis - my 5.5 mile commute.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    43 over 15miles
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    When I was working in the square mile my commute from South Croydon (appx 13 miles) included just over 100 sets of lights (on average I'd get around 30-40 reds). My commute is now in the opposite direction (appx 8 miles) and has a grand total of 4 sets of lights, although I can take a different route where there is just 1 set.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    31 Traffic lights
    8 Pedestrial Crossings
    2 Full Roundabouts
    3 Mini Roundabouts
    and 1 Penis Removal Gang : http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/08/31/gang-chop-off-rival-s-manhood-with-chisels-days-after-twin-has-holes-drilled-in-his-head-86908-22525727/
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Two road junction sets and one pedestrian over 7 1/2 miles. 8)
  • One light controlled cross roads and two ped crossing.

I take a fairly wiggly route to go via parklands and side streets rather than stop start traffic.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    31 Traffic lights
    8 Pedestrial Crossings
    2 Full Roundabouts
    3 Mini Roundabouts
    and 1 Penis Removal Gang : http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2010/08/31/gang-chop-off-rival-s-manhood-with-chisels-days-after-twin-has-holes-drilled-in-his-head-86908-22525727/

Holy shit!
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I keep trying to count the number between London Bridge and Shoreditch High Street but keep losing count - it's something like 12-15 in a mile.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    1. Thankfully not in Maryhill Road, Glasgow!
  • rf6 wrote:
    1. Thankfully not in Maryhill Road, Glasgow!

It was at a roundabout, rather than set of traffic lights that they removed said appendege.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

• Spot on! I have been on the same route for years and still have no idea...

I got bored.

Me too. I did vaguely think about it on the way in again this morning, and forgot about it before I got to a traffic light
  • So.........

30 may have been a slight misunderestimation on my part!

The more correct answer would have been 58, and 2 de-activated.

58. My god. That is over 10 miles, but 31 are between Mayfair and SheBu which is only 4 miles... and doesn't include SheBu itself!

So many traffic lights! I had no idea!
  • I had none last time, and now having changed job, house and country, I have 1 set of traffic lights but a whole lot more junctions.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I counted 42 for my old commute, but I added 10km since then, and I've tried, but I lose count.
    Riding on 531
  • I finally counted whilst riding home last night

65 in 12 miles.