Ribble Gran Fondo weighs 10.3 kg???

UPGRAYEDD
UPGRAYEDD Posts: 117
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
With carbon frame and forks???

And Ultegra groupset???

If this is actually true, where - oh where - is the excess weight accruing?

Are the other components made of limestone, granite, lead and plutonium???[/i]
"A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just because it's carbon fibre doesn't automatically mean it's going to be super light.

Ultegra isn't that light, the wheels will be heavy, the finishing kit will be heavy, is there any water in the frame?

(It does sound a tad lardy though!!)
  • UPGRAYEDD
    Heh!

TBF, this is being reported second-hand, as opposed to it by my bike wot I rode into a swimming pool or filled up with pebbles (or - given the apparent weight - both).

Whilst I appreciate that Ultegra may well not be the lightest of groupsets, it's hardly the heaviest either, and it just seems odd (to me) that this bike could apparently be so much heavier than, say the Boardman Team Carbon with SRAM Rival.

Or maybe it is, and just needs to lay off the pies?
    "A gentleman who goes by the name Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Heavy heavy fork I believe, replace with an all carbon and you'll probably shed half a kilo. Decent tyres / tubes will save you a couple hundred grammes, then saddle / finishing kit will all help get weight down as well. Not sure what the wheels are but must be a bit lardy. It does sound surprisingly heavy, but remember most bike weights are given with the bike stripped to bare bones - no cages, pedals etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seriously, if it's a mate's bike, check for water in the seat tube...
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    MatHammond wrote:
    Heavy heavy fork I believe, replace with an all carbon and you'll probably shed half a kilo. Decent tyres / tubes will save you a couple hundred grammes, then saddle / finishing kit will all help get weight down as well. Not sure what the wheels are but must be a bit lardy. It does sound surprisingly heavy, but remember most bike weights are given with the bike stripped to bare bones - no cages, pedals etc.

Christ, I was worried my Lemond one was heavy at 525g.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've no idea of the finishing set or tyres or whatever. Anythings possible.

I'd not fret too much about a weight anyway. Maybe the scales are bust and in the scheme of things - an extra kilo or two on the bike means bugger all in the real world.
  • elevated
    elevated Posts: 126
    A medium (51cm) Gran Fondo frame weighs 1168g, the latest tapered forks are 612g with an uncut steerer, so the forks are a bit heavy but the frame's not too bad.

I'm looking for a replacement fork for mine, but the only one I can find with a tapered steerer is the Easton EC90 SL, which is a bit steep at £270.
    BMC Pro Machine | Ribble Gran Fondo | Planet-X SL Pro Carbon | Specialized Langster 2008 | Ribble Winter Sloping | Trek 8000 | Onza Blade 2009

My site » AssosFables :: Assos news & reviews
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    look at the big picture...cheap and weighty spec components all add up, forks, stem, bars, seatpost, saddle, wheels

frame weight is inline with the market price

DSC00067.jpg
    DSC00066.jpg
    8.25~kgs

if it weighes 10kgs with ultegra then either look at the weight of the components or something extra is adding to the weight..although water...1litre - 1kg.cant be that much in there surely
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • UPGRAYEDD
    acidstrato wrote:
    look at the big picture...cheap and weighty spec components all add up, forks, stem, bars, seatpost, saddle, wheels

frame weight is inline with the market price

DSC00067.jpg
    DSC00066.jpg
    8.25~kgs

if it weighes 10kgs with ultegra then either look at the weight of the components or something extra is adding to the weight..although water...1litre - 1kg.cant be that much in there surely

Hi Acidstrato.

That's interesting - yours clearly isn't heavy! What group/wheelset & other specs did you opt for?

More importantly, is it a good ride (fnarr fnarr)?

Am I right in thinking that the recommended frame sizes are a llittle on the small side? Website says Large would do for my height (180 cm) but measuring up according to competitive cyclist fit calculator states I would need top tube of 570 - i.e the XL! What did you go for?
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    My mate picked up a Grand Fondo a couple of months ago spec'ed with ultegra. Putting it up against my sportive with centaur, mine seemed considerably lighter. I mate didn't seem overly happy!

Lovely looking bike though.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    It's the fork.
  • acidstrato
    UPGRAYEDD wrote:

Hi Acidstrato.

That's interesting - yours clearly isn't heavy! What group/wheelset & other specs did you opt for?

More importantly, is it a good ride (fnarr fnarr)?

Am I right in thinking that the recommended frame sizes are a llittle on the small side? Website says Large would do for my height (180 cm) but measuring up according to competitive cyclist fit calculator states I would need top tube of 570 - i.e the XL! What did you go for?

ultegra 6700 double. i got mine when it was released last year as a special build but I changed the wheels for fulcrum racing 1s. deda zero100 stem, deda big piega bars, some ebay carbon seat post and selle italia c2 saddle. I got a large, its fine for racing but if it was for comfortable, long distance rides I'd have liked a bigger frame. I like the ride it feels quality, but the frame is only half of it.
  • acidstrato
    also bare in mind, the design has changed so there are various iterations of the GF. mine is the original which uses the ribbelle frameset. current version ribble supply maybe something different