cleaning rust off rotors

lee170
lee170 Posts: 236
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Whats the best way to clean rust off rotors, dont want to scratch them!

Cheers

Lee
2015 orange crush
2015 cannondale super six evo

Comments

• konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    You don't, just like pads rotors are consumables and eventually the pads will eat into the discs and make them so thin that they will need to be replaced. Unless you knock them badly and bend them irreversibly well before that time.

For bling's sake however use steelwool to remove any surface rust.
    Giant Reign X1
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Pedal fast, slam on breaks. Done.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    JonnyN wrote:
    Pedal fast, slam on breaks. Done.
    I hink (I hope) he means rust on the non-braking surface part of the rotor.
  • lee170
    lee170 Posts: 236
    Yes i mean rust on the non braking areas!
    2015 orange crush
    2015 cannondale super six evo
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    then wire wool is not the answer, this just scratches the surface and will cause more rust in the long run
  • konadawg
    UncleMonty wrote:
    then wire wool is not the answer, this just scratches the surface and will cause more rust in the long run

You do know that "brushed stainless" which is the finish that most discs come in, is actually and effectively a gazillion scratches, so to speak?
    Giant Reign X1
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Remove the discs and lightly brush on some neat "wonder wheels" automotive wheel cleaner. After a few seconds the rust will disappear and you'll be left with shiny discs. 8)

Make sure you rinse them well afterwards and give them a final wipe with alcohol or a specific brake cleaner.

Job done. :wink:
  • konadawg
    If you do remove them, and they are not Shimano centre lock types:

You probably need a T25 torx bit so don't go plonking an allen key in the bolts until you have looked closely enough;

You need to use the tool correctly as if one or a couple of the 12 bolts in total are hard to crack loose it is quite easy to wreck the rather shallow heads, rendering them very difficult to destructively remove;

You need to have some blue Loctite handy for re-installation;

You need to be very careful not to overtighten and strip the hub threads;

Oh and did I mention -

You need to be very careful not to overtighten and strip the hub threads.

In my book the value of risking the latter for the sake of having a temorarily clean rotor is dubious. Insufficient tightening is also not an option. Generally one would fit a rotor and hope that it does not need to come off until it is time for replacement. A hint is that anything ordinarily loctited is not meant to be taken off regularly.
    Giant Reign X1