The Tuesday ship naming contest....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
If you had a ship, what would you name it?

"HMS Hotfat" is my first choice.

Or the *symbol* that Prince changed his name to:

HMS prince_symbol.jpg

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    HMS Banana
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • HMS Saucy Sue.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Jake is being pedantic....he asks if it's a merchant ship or warship you're talking about :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MonkeyMonster
    NGale wrote:
    Jake is being pedantic....he asks if it's a merchant ship or warship you're talking about :lol:

warship of course - merchants aren't allowed full HMS honours or something like that?
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:

warship of course - merchants aren't allowed full HMS honours or something like that?

an HMS is a title given to ships of the Royal Navy, not even RFA ships have an HMS title as they are owned by the RN but manned by sailors of the MN.

Jake does trump most people though, he was on the board which named HMS Daring :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:

an HMS is a title given to ships of the Royal Navy, not even RFA ships have an HMS title as they are owned by the RN but manned by sailors of the MN.

Jake does trump most people though, he was on the board which named HMS Daring :)

Read that as HMS Darling first time round - very Blackadder. :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    HMS PMT

Ships out to sea once a month and everyone hides
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    rjsterry wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:

and given his penchant for waxed bits...
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    H.M.S. HIT...
  • NGale
    rjsterry wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:

and given his penchant for waxed bits...

I think ITB and DDD have stolen the crown for waxed bits given the Sac Wax tread :shock:
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    There is a pic of HMS Defender that I posted on the 'View from the Balcony' thread, it's not a bad name and miles better than HMS Duncan... :shock:

Personally I like HMS Dragon
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Hard to beat some of the names here: http://www.mtyc.org.uk/Pages/miscellany_humour.htm
  • NGale
    edited August 2010
    doogee wrote:
    There is a pic of HMS Defender that I posted on the 'View from the Balcony' thread, it's not a bad name and miles better than HMS Duncan... :shock:

HMS Defender, associated with the City of Exeter and my Sea Cadet unit now, TS Exeter.

Jake was hoping for a posting on HMS Daring, but his sister beat him to it so it won't be happening now. :(
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    NGale wrote:
    doogee wrote:

HMS Defender, associated with the City of Exeter and my Sea Cadet unit now, TS Exeter.

Jake was hoping for a posing on HMS Daring, but his sister beat him to it so it won't be happening now. :(

Tell him he's not missing much, they're just big grey floaty things that go round in circles a lot, well that my experience of them anyway!! Lucky old me gets to go out on Dragon in November.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    NGale wrote:
    doogee wrote:

Jake was hoping for a posing on HMS Daring, but his sister beat him to it so it won't be happening now. :(

bit vain isn't he? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Quite probably The Greasy Bastard
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    doogee wrote:

bit vain isn't he? :wink:

damn I hate typos :lol:
  • NGale
    doogee wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    doogee wrote:

Tell him he's not missing much, they're just big grey floaty things that go round in circles a lot, well that my experience of them anyway!! Lucky old me gets to go out on Dragon in November.

Ahh he was just wanting to get command as chief engineer on one of the best ships in the fleet. With his promotion pending now it's unlikely to happen, he'll be pretty much land based for the rest of his career now.
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    <
    tempting fate???
  • NGale
    invincible wrote:
    <
    tempting fate???

Ahhh decommissioned in 2005 and sent to the knackers yard...still tempting fate :roll: :wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    In honour of ITB:

HMS Veet
  • MonkeyMonster
    NGale wrote:
    invincible wrote:
    <
    tempting fate???

Ahhh decommissioned in 2005 and sent to the knackers yard...still tempting fate :roll: :wink:

I didn't realise Jake was *that* old... :D
  • Sidi
    Sidi Posts: 21
    If todays news about us sharing air craft carriers with the French is true, it won't be HMS any more.

It's a little known fact but the motto of the French navy used to be "To the water it is time" but they changed it after getting fed up of English sailors laughing at their cries of " A l'eau c'est l'heure". :lol:
    Trek 1.7 08

Unshaved newbie roadie
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I was wondering about suggesting HMS Charles de Gaulle
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Sidi wrote:
    It's a little known fact but the motto of the French navy used to be "To the water it is time" but they changed it after getting fed up of English sailors laughing at their cries of " A l'eau c'est l'heure". :lol:

Painfully contrived and barely funny

I'll be having that for future use.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    invincible wrote:
    <
    tempting fate???

I didn't realise Jake was *that* old... :D

he's certianlly getting there and it does amuse me when he is refered to as being 'one of the old guard' by the young officers :lol:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Sidi wrote:

Painfully contrived and barely funny

I'll be having that for future use.

+1000
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    For some reason all the ships that do deliveries here are called the "No Smoking"!?! :wink:
  • HMS GoingDown

She's a lovely old girl, etc, etc...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A