titanium or carbon

solboy
solboy Posts: 368
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
If you were spending around £1500 on a new bike (complete) would you go for titanium or carbon.

My riding buddy wants a Van Nicolas but is also keen to look at the Focus Cayo as its £500 cheaper or something like the Specialized Roubaix.

The Van Nicolas Mistral gets good reviews but there doesnt appear to be much of a VN following here on the forum?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd buy a nearly new used titanium frame off eBay, such as a Litespeed...

Maybe put an offer for a full bike in for 1500 quid (albeit with different wheels) and see what happens?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    whatever feels better and is in your budget quite honestly .....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rider weight, riding style and what you want to use it for all help in making the right decision.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    The Mistral does get favourable reviews and its a great package for the money. It could be argued that the metal used isnt as refined as the top tier stuff but you and I wont really be able to tell the difference.

Its down to personal preference. Tell your pal to have a go on a carbon and a titanium bike and see which he prefers. £1500 will buy a very nice bike, whatever the material. Cant beat that new bike feeling!
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • solboy
    solboy Posts: 368
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Rider weight, riding style and what you want to use it for all help in making the right decision.

14st and a few lbs (fat bugger) and recreational riding 20-40 mile runs plus summer commuting (not in the city).

I think the Mistral is calling its just there are very limited reviews on the product and i understand that until recently the VNs were sold through Halfords!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    [quote="solboy"
    The Van Nicolas Mistral gets good reviews but there doesnt appear to be much of a VN following here on the forum?[/quote]

Maybe because we are discreet/stealthy individuals!

I have both: the Peason Pave c/f is more fun being quicker to accelerate. The VN Yukon absorbs more of the road buzz and is said to be more robust generally - very useful if using trains. I rate both bikes v highly.

If this is to be the only bike I would go for the ti; it will have a longer working life or alternatively, I guess, greater second hand value when you come to sell.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'd buy a nearly new used titanium frame off eBay, such as a Litespeed...

Maybe put an offer for a full bike in for 1500 quid (albeit with different wheels) and see what happens?

:lol: