the best power/weight,volume touring food

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
I don't like bananas and that are black and on the way to a puree each time I carry them: my bag is small and a banana guard only protects one banana and takes up too much room. I found whole dried bananas (not chips) in health food store. there are about 15 of them in the pack each one about 2" long. Pack size is about 4 energy bars and weight is 250 grams.I reckon this must be the most powerful energy food for it's size that there is. The make is Vital Nut co, Tunbridge Wells

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    15 dried bananas - I guess you have to really like bananas.

Malt loaf? Dried Fruit? Apples (and other hard fruit)? Nuts? Muesli/powdered milk mix?
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    Another for the malt loaf, boiled sweets also assist for intervals. A good helping of porridge at breakfast also assists greatly with energy levels and if you plan to cook en-route is a superb back-up meal at any time when reserves are depleted.
    Pedaling spans generations.
  • well it's really for touring particularly in France wnere you don't know the best stuff to buy and in rural areas you can have trouble finding shops.If I do buy fruit but gets bashed up in a small bag. I just reckon these must be the best energy/volume you can get
  • Thanks for the tip here, I shall have to look out for them.
  • ed_209
    ed_209 Posts: 17
    Hello all

my favourite food (works well for walking and running as well as cycling) are fig rolls. They're a good mix of complex carbohydrate and sugars, taste OK (whether you're after sweet or savoury). And crucially, it's almost impossible to mash them up anymore than they are already - they're much hardier than most things - and are also v. cheap.

Also widely available in France, my preferred brand is Figlou - readily available through the French version of Spa in most villages.

Eddie
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Also tried those Vietnamese dried bananas from H &B ( that look like slugs). Is it possible to eat too many bananas though and overdose on Potassium or whatever?
    Soreens my choice. of a cyclefood nibble
    jc
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Heard peanut butter is the best...Anyone agree?
    jc
  • malt loaf saved me last month, that combined with really dark bread and huge amounts of ham was my diet throughout my trip... with the odd pack of salted peanuts and raisins thrown into a bag i kept in easy reach. you dont need to spend lots of money on special gels etc, lots of carbs and if needed a pack of jelly babies always helps for a quick energy boost