Gear Cable Mystery

stingmered
stingmered Posts: 60
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a new cable set for a bike I’m hoping to sell on in the near future. Got a Clarks pre-lubed kit to replace the Gore sealed set which finally gave up the ghost after 2.5yrs of regular use! However inside the package and along with all the ferrules, donuts, end caps etc there is a weird bit of thin rubber plastic tubing which I have no idea what you do with. I’ve been fettling bikes for 20+ years but I’ve yet to come across one of these before. The tubing is about 10cm long, black plastic, the inside diameter is big enough for the inner cable to go through but it’s OD is small enough to slip into the outer cable. I suspect that it has something to do with ‘sealing’ the outer where the inner leaves it, but with no instructions I’m not sure how this would work. Does it just slip in and stay in place?

Have I answered my own question?

Cheers,
Sean.

P.s. As a complete Friday aside, does anyone else take cod liver oil capsules and find they have cat-breath burps all morning?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's the mystery? Can it be used to stop crud getting into the outer, if so, use it, if not bin it. Think you have answered your own question there.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think Shimano gears kits come with something similar to be used on the rear mech.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    I have something similar on my Fury but it's on the bare cable run on the rear chainstay. I thought it was something to stop the cable whipping against the paint, or so you could see that the cable was moving.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Usually used where bare inner is exposed. Like along the rear chainstay or along the top tube, you don't have to use it, it's just there to prevent crud getting into the outers where the outer is split. Whether it works or not is a totally different matter.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah I'd vote for it goes on the chainstay if you don't have a continuous run to the rear mech, would provide a bit of protection for the inner housing
  • Cheers guys. Planning to install on the exposed inner on the seat-stay (too busy riding at the weekend!). Will feed back anything unusual.