QR skewer on front wheel

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited August 2010 in The workshop
The nut on the axle opposite the QR mechanism has frozen. The wheel isn't quite tight enough - ok when ridng but when disc brake applied, pulls the wheel to disc side.

Tried usual variation of sprays/lubes.

Problem is, not enough slack to get the wheel off over the lawyer tabs.

Suggestions - hack saw and new QR? Trouble is, not quite sure where I can get good access to the axle to saw...

Comments

• If you don't mind wrecking the QR nut...
    If it has a plastic outer this will rip off with a bit of abuse revealing the actual metal 'nut', grip firmly with pliers, mole-grips or a small pair of stilson's. If you have a friend to help and a bench-vice, get friend to support bike (or remove forks with wheel attached) and squeeze the nut in the vice.

Shop around for new QR, strangely it's often cheaper to buy an 'old-stock' hub with a QR than just a QR! Also noticed that V-Brake Canti's are often cheaper than Blocks!

Personally, I love/hate seized bits'n'bobs because it's an excuse to get a bit 'un-delicate', when most bike servicing is all <5Nm. Nothing like unbending old steel pedal arms or removing BB's :D
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    If you don't mind wrecking the QR nut...
    If it has a plastic outer this will rip off with a bit of abuse revealing the actual metal 'nut', grip firmly with pliers, mole-grips or a small pair of stilson's. If you have a friend to help and a bench-vice, get friend to support bike (or remove forks with wheel attached) and squeeze the nut in the vice.

Shop around for new QR, strangely it's often cheaper to buy an 'old-stock' hub with a QR than just a QR! Also noticed that V-Brake Canti's are often cheaper than Blocks!

Personally, I love/hate seized bits'n'bobs because it's an excuse to get a bit 'un-delicate', when most bike servicing is all <5Nm. Nothing like unbending old steel pedal arms or removing BB's :D

Tried that, but to no avail.

Anyway, managed to wriggle it past the lawyer tabs in the end - hacksaw sorted it.