Bad cycling infrastucture in the UK

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I guess we should balance the recent "best infrastructure post". I for one feel a lot can be learned from what's bad as well as what's good.

Well, had the fortune to cycling along here the other day (in a rain stopped play attempt to reach Herne Bay). Note the pencil thin cycle lane is bounded by a rough strip of cobbles, which for my tyres presented quite a barrier, but weren't such a barrier for buses. At the time I was being squeezed by buses and I felt veeery trapped. I came out pretty quickly and rode down the bus lane, but then with the "barrier" there and the cycle lane I could sense that the bus behind me thought I should go back to be where I should be.

http://bit.ly/bZZfxH

Comments

• prj45, yes, I know those cobbles - and where there are bus stops the buses never quite get into the stop and you're forced out over the cobbles and into the main carriageway. Try that on slicks in the wet!

I think it comes under Greenwich Council and they seem to be the worst in the south-east for cycle provision. And there have been a couple of cycling fatalities in the last couple of years along that lower road.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    whhoo! your very own special gutter!!!
  • PBo
    edited August 2010
    why restrict to London?

Here's a special example from Sheffield.

`````as this cycle lane passes under the railway bridge, for no apparent reason it is raised a few inches. As I was cycling close to the edge of the lane, and not realising the ledge was there, it took my down - on what is Sheffield's outer ring road! (so not a quiet road!!!)
  • prj45
    prj45, yes, I know those cobbles - and where there are bus stops the buses never quite get into the stop and you're forced out over the cobbles and into the main carriageway. Try that on slicks in the wet!

Ah ha! Perversely I think that's what forced me out into the road (passing the stop with two buses in it, having one trying to overtake me trying to get in it).

All in the wet, on slicks on a skittish road bike.

I'm probably never going to ride that way again, but I'd seriously suggest writing to your councillor!
  • prj45
    PBo wrote:
    why restrict to London?

Fixed that for you.
    PBo wrote:

Fantastic. I'd write a letter of thanks to the council for the opportunity to practise some stunt biking!

I'd expect Peter Perves to be sitting on the pavement doing a commentary as I negotiated that!
  • You know how cars park or drive in cycle lanes? Here's an interesting solution...(just north of Tower Bridge)

2010_0829Various0004+small.jpg

prj45, exactly the same experience with me (only it wasn't raining heavily at the time).

On the same road, just west of your picture, here's 3 cycle lanes on a traffic island...the chap walking is rightly nervous - he's about to enter the cyclepath epicentre...
    Plumstead.png

I don't live in Greenwich so my councillor isn't going to help. I've already had a fair number of battles with Greenwich Council though....
  • prj45
    On the same road, just west of your picture, here's 3 cycle lanes on a traffic island...the chap walking is rightly nervous - he's about to enter the cyclepath epicentre...
    Plumstead.png

Hootin' heck, that looks like one of the kids games where you fire cars at each other across crossed tracks to see which ones miss and which ones get smashed to bits.
  • Here's a special example from Sheffield.

`````as this cycle lane passes under the railway bridge, for no apparent reason it is raised a few inches. As I was cycling close to the edge of the lane, and not realising the ledge was there, it took my down - on what is Sheffield's outer ring road! (so not a quiet road!!!)

I recon my bike handling is better than yours.
    I did the same thing the first time I went down there but didn’t fall off. But I went off the curb down onto the road but stayed upright no chance of getting back. There is a notice just before the bridge.
    Bad design in my opinion.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • double post
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • A similar pair in Hornchurch
    Note you can't cycle in it if there is a bus at the stop and it is also a dual purpose cycle lane/car park.
  • PBo
    jimmypippa wrote:

That is awesome -

And my favourite part? The only car in the picture still manages to block the exit!!!!!
  • PBo
    A similar pair in Hornchurch
    Note you can't cycle in it if there is a bus at the stop and it is also a dual purpose cycle lane/car park.

You too get a "My cycle lane is only 5 metres, but I still get the only car on the road blocking it" T-shirt!!!!!

I love the way both cars are half up on the pavement too - as if that somehow makes it better! "I hate cyclists - but I hate f*cking peds too, so this'll f*ck 'em all up!!!!"
  • PBo

I recon my bike handling is better than yours.
    I did the same thing the first time I went down there but didn’t fall off. But I went off the curb down onto the road but stayed upright no chance of getting back. There is a notice just before the bridge.
    Bad design in my opinion.

No doubt! Mine was abject!

I was in full waterproofs, wet day, and I was halfway under the bridge, cycling right on the edge, like a tightrope, but without realising.

Then the fateful mistake - I actually noticed what was going on! Cue much too quick turn of the wheel to try to get off the edge - has totally the opposite effect, front wheel slips off, and I fall (to the pavement side fortunately!!!!! :oops:

I was furious - and then next time noticed the warning sign - double :oops:

I wonder what the rationale is? Did water collect under the bridge in the gutter, so they raised it to stop us ploughing through huge puddles?

I have to be fair and say that by and large, Sheffield not shocking for bike stuff...apart from brainfarts like this.....

see how the evil pavement forces you to the wicked tramtrack's lair! there is no escape! bwwaaah,haaa,hhaaa[/url]
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    I bet this thread will get many more posts then mine about good infrastructure :)
    Now if something like this was given to motorist there would be an uproar and it would have to be changes. I was wondering if people riding bikes could perhaps unite against something like that and flood the councils with letters. Just a thought.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Roads are safest when they are simplest. All raised kerbs and green paint should go.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • PBo
    dondare wrote:
    Roads are safest when they are simplest. All raised kerbs and green paint should go.

A london cabby once told me that they should get rid of all the traffic lights and everything! "it'll sort itself out"!

i know they have such schemes in Flatland, but London???
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Cyclists used as mobile speed barrier

Right at the speed change section with middle chevrons, they drop in a 20 meter 'cycle lane' to further narrow the road.

Talking Heads... we're on the road to nowhere....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • This is one of my faves, I like how the left turn arrow is pointing straight at the picture of the bike... it should be considered a warning, that junction is left-hook-tasitc.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    A favourite from when i lived in Putney.

Not only is the path barely 2ft wide, but it has a streetlamp positioned right in the middle.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=sa ... 15,,0,-6.6
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    PBo wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

That is awesome -

And my favourite part? The only car in the picture still manages to block the exit!!!!!

I thought that was quite special too.
  • jimmypippa

Right at the speed change section with middle chevrons, they drop in a 20 meter 'cycle lane' to further narrow the road.

They similar with the chicanes on the A6 just outside stockport.

I commute on the A6.
  • This one's a local favourite of mine...

4051356874_2656ac7b9a.jpg
  • jimmypippa
    deptfordmarmoset

You win so far
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    edited August 2010
    This is an abomination on all sorts of levels.

Edit: This is obviously what the above should look like.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    jimmypippa wrote:
    deptfordmarmoset

You win so far
    That wins in the stupid category. Not particularly dangerous tho' unless someone has an unfortunate blindspot for wrought iron gates.
  • prj45
    _Brun_ wrote:
    This is an abomination on all sorts of levels.

Edit: This is obviously what the above should look like.

Wow, so to actually get past that part of the road motorised vehicles are mandated to break the law. Fantastic.
  • PBo
    jimmypippa wrote:

They similar with the chicanes on the A6 just outside stockport.

I commute on the A6.

Isn't the idea that the physical markings of a cycle lane raises the motorist's awareness of the pinchpoint's potential squeezing of the cyclist?

this is good, not bad.
  • your own "Northshore" and under a bridge,bring it on :lol: