Tour of Britain

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
It's going pretty much right past my house...

Oh and several SCR-ers have climbed one of the hills (Ballingdon) already!

http://tourofbritain.co.uk/_ns_race/def ... age7_route

http://tourofbritain.co.uk/_ns_pdf/stag ... te_map.pdf

Comments

• Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Tour of Britain? Soft southern tour, more like.
  • Peter88
    Peter88 Posts: 50
    Going camping near Blackpool 10-12th September Stage 1 stage 1 passes the end of the road the campsite is on so should get to see them pass or might go into Blackpool to see the finish.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    An hour and a half in the car is taking me and a few mates to see stage 5. We're headed for Coombe Hill for the KoM. Can't wait!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Zachariah wrote:

Well if you tight-fisted northerners had put your hands in your pockets and bid for a stage...

;)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Does that include me? I don't remember there being any hills :?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:

Well if you tight-fisted northerners had put your hands in your pockets and bid for a stage...

;)
    Doesn't it start in Rochdale? Yer durn't get mure nurthern than thar. Surely?
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Of course you do...And don't call me Shirley.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    CiB wrote:

er yes, there are two more counties north of there. Rochdale is south of York and therefore is in the midlands which everyone knows is not the north.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've volunteered for stage 1. They've placed me at sprint 3, about 15 miles from home. Hopefully the weather will make it a pleasant ride out and back.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    mkirby wrote:
    CiB wrote:

er yes, there are two more counties north of there. Rochdale is south of York and therefore is in the midlands which everyone knows is not the north.
    Note to self - don't post points that state an obvious fact but are open to being picked apart by pedants. The gritty northern working class Lancashire towns of Rochdale, and with it Bolton, Blackburn et al is what I was referring to, not the idyllic wilds of Cumbria & The Lake District. Obviously.

Anyway, it starts in t'north [which is pronounced int north, not in tut north as soft southerners are prone to say when presented with a bit of northern dialect]. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Ay up.
    :)
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Does that include me? I don't remember there being any hills :?

Yep, and exactly! The one we went up is marked on the map and everything...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    CiB wrote:
    mkirby wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Note to self - don't post points that state an obvious fact but are open to being picked apart by pedants. The gritty northern working class Lancashire towns of Rochdale, and with it Bolton, Blackburn et al is what I was referring to, not the idyllic wilds of Cumbria & The Lake District. Obviously.

Anyway, it starts in t'north [which is pronounced int north, not in tut north as soft southerners are prone to say when presented with a bit of northern dialect]. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Ay up.

Far be it for me to correct you old boy; however: the 't' is silent and never directly spoken.

For example in t' north would be more accurately written as in 'north, with a glottal pause for the implied 'the' or 't'

When one wishes to meet ones friends in a public house for the consumption of alcoholic beverages one would say "Is tha goin' 'pub?" Or more often "'pub?"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • invincible
    invincible Posts: 154
    CiB wrote:
    mkirby wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Ay up.

Far be it for me to correct you old boy; however: the 't' is silent and never directly spoken.

For example in t' north would be more accurately written as in 'north, with a glottal pause for the implied 'the' or 't'

When one wishes to meet ones friends in a public house for the consumption of alcoholic beverages one would say "Is tha goin' 'pub?" Or more often "'pub?"

tbf we just call it gods country were the queens english is spoken & you can bathe in liquid sunshine all year round....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    invincible wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    mkirby wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Ay up.

tbf we just call it God's country where the Queen's English is spoken & you can bathe in liquid sunshine all year round....

FTFY (seeing as you're talking about the Queen's English.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol:
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    i'm riding the london stage (obviously not with the pros)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    It's a shame Wiggins and Cavendish won't be taking part.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Even the Romans got further north than this years tour. We would have opened the gates in the wall if only we`d been asked. Maybe the new passport controls at the border got in the organisers way.
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.