Upgrading Trek 3700

oupulino
oupulino Posts: 3
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi i just start enjoying to ride a Trek 3700 this is like entry level components 7 speed .Im thinking about upgrading to 9 speed ( cassette ,shifters and derailleurs)are you pros recommending this change or not .
Any idea how much gonna cost?
The frame is spotless but components suck I like something which last long time and is good quality like Sram or Shimano

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This could be quite an expensive upgrade, as you may need new wheels (if you have a free wheel, rather than a freehub and cassette, and even then 7 speed ones are not compatible with a new drivetrain).

I would check the wheel first.
  • That is good idea check the wheels first I will do that
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    it will defo need a new wheel, I have a 3700 and bent a chain whip trying to get what I thought was the rear cassette off, it's not, it's the old 'screw type' one so you would need new wheels as well as new shifters etc

By the time you have spent that you could probably get a 2nd hand hardtail with better spec to start with.

The forks aren't great either, however I have mine for a snow bike, it's fun to ride even if it is basic
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6