Flatties - Wellgo MG1 v Superstar Mag Lite CNCs?

Aud Reekie MTB
Aud Reekie MTB Posts: 164
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

Am looking for some new pedals to replace my old V8s.

What are your thoughts on the above - is it worth paying £60 for the Superstars rather than £35 for the Wellgos. Both are v light, to be used for xc and the odd bit of downhill.

Any thoughts on these and other sub £60 options?

cheers,

Andy

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want a slimmer profile pedal, and slightly less weight, yes.

In my experience, cast magnesium pedals are not any weaker, I have seen I think one bust MG1 in all my time biking. And cast magnesium is certainly not cheap and nasty stuff, it has been used in sus fork sliders for years, and still is.

Both good pedals.
  • Cheers Super. They're both magnesium, but are they both cast magnesium? (I guess so).

So you'd go for the Superstars?
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    The MG-1's are not the grippiest of pedals. Plenty strong though. The Superstar's have a better profile than the MG1's and the DMR's, but the build quality isn't that great. If you like your V8's then the V12 mags may be an option,
  • When you say the Superstars have a better profile than the MG1s, are they grippier as a result?
  • weescott
    In a word. Yes. :)
  • And a good word it is wee Scott!

Andy
  • Ok folks, so there's not a great deal wrong with the Wellgo MG-1s for £35.

Agreed?

Andy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not at all, a great pedal for the cash. Is a wider platform than V12, and you can get longer pins if required.
  • Cool. Wider is good for my size 11s! :D Where's the best place to get the pins - an LBS? What length is good?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,767
    weescott wrote:
    The MG-1's are not the grippiest of pedals.
    Maybe you got a duff pair? The phrase 'sticks like sh1t to a blanket' springs to mind for my MG-1's. Can't comment on the Superstars as I haven't tried them but if they are grippier than MG-1's then they will be good.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    need to change your shoes if you find the MG-1 don't grip. MG-1 pins do shin damage
  • gonga
    gonga Posts: 225
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    weescott wrote:
    The MG-1's are not the grippiest of pedals.
    Maybe you got a duff pair? The phrase 'sticks like sh1t to a blanket' springs to mind for my MG-1's. Can't comment on the Superstars as I haven't tried them but if they are grippier than MG-1's then they will be good.

+ 1
    with any sensible footwear the wg-1's are super grippy.
    :D
  • Cheers for all your thoughts folks.

Went for the MG-1s in black. 8)
  • weescott
    need to change your shoes if you find the MG-1 don't grip. MG-1 pins do shin damage

I never said they don't grip! I said they aren't the grippiest! I have used V8/12's V12 mags/terror pins/MG-1's/Superstar Nano's/Ultra Mags.....

My 5 Ten Impacts and 661 Filters are plenty grippy

:roll: