Winter bikes

wigan bound
wigan bound Posts: 3
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Hi

Any suggestions on a good winter commuting bike for around £300 - £350.
I currently use a Giant FCR2 but want something a bit sturdier and better on gritted roads for the winter.
I am unsure on another hybrid or a hardtail.

Comments

• Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Now come on you know they sell all the grit right before winter in wigan so you want something that will plough through snow. Personally I'm looking at a specialized tricross for the winter months.

Er after looking at your current bike why dont you just buy some fatter tyres or isnt there the clearance?
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • To be honest they did well with the gritting last year. The holes in my treads proved that.
    Don't think I can get the width of tyres I want on my current bike.
    Looking at a locally based big internet trader, the latest 3 I am considering are
    Land rover Chagan
    Ridgeback Veloicty
    Fuji Sunfire
    But these 3 are down to the savings from the RRP.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    How wide do you want the tyres to be? If you need extra grip in the snow (if we get any this year) you can always run at a lower pressure.
    Steve C
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    My carrera Subway 1 is a great winter bike.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Have you considered a single speed? I like them for winter riding as they keep you pretty warm (much harder work uphill), and you don't have the clean the winter road grime from the rear mech. I've got 700x28 tyres on mine and that gives me enough grip.

Do watch out that if you were to buy one with thin tyres with a view of fitting wider tyres, you have sufficient clearance at the bottom - very racy models can be quite narrow and you don't want to have to true the wheel every week.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    To be honest they did well with the gritting last year. The holes in my treads proved that.
    Don't think I can get the width of tyres I want on my current bike.
    Looking at a locally based big internet trader, the latest 3 I am considering are
    Land rover Chagan
    Ridgeback Veloicty
    Fuji Sunfire
    But these 3 are down to the savings from the RRP.

Not Winstanleys I hope? They have a certain reputation for not having the reduced-price goods that they advertise.

Just get the Subway 8 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534