A little play on a commencal meta 552

patchesuk
patchesuk Posts: 96
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Can anyone help diagnose please?

When I lift the saddle on my meta 55 I can feel a little play vertically, I have checked all bolts and can't see where the play is coming from... any ideas?

Thanks,
Clint.
Think I need a bigger Garage.

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sounds like you need new shock bushings or possibly new bearings
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Yeah, I'd bet money it'll be the shock DU bushing (and potentially the metal reducer which goes in it too, if it's been like that long). Metas eat through them, I've gone through 2 sets so far and there's lots of similar cases on the owners forum. Lift the back and feel around the top shock mount, see if there feels like there is a small amount of play.

Any decent bike shop will be able to sort the DU bushing out in 10 minutes, if the reducer is worn you'll need to swap that too but it'll probably need ordering as there's tons of different sizes.

Last time around I just bought the bullet and bought the tool to swap them, mine's an '08 Meta XT but I think the sizing was the same for '09 too, not sure on '10. Here's the invoice from http://www.betd.co.uk:
    Product: Strong bushes
    Attributes: Fox (1/2'') 22.0mm 8.1mm
    Quantity: 2
    Price: £30.00

Product: Tool to replace shock bushes
    Attributes: 1/2''
    Quantity: 1
    Price: £24.00

You might not need the reducers at the top ("Strong bushes"), mine hadn't completely gone first time around, with any luck it'll just be one or two of those Hula Hoop bushings, and a tool to fit them if you want to give it a go.
  • thank you for heads up... this isn't the first time the bushing has gone... last time I got a shop to sort it.. will give it a go myself I think!
    Think I need a bigger Garage.
  • other than that the swing arm bolt is loose..happened to mine :)