SRAM X9 rear mech sticking on lowest gear

Danny-T
Danny-T Posts: 129
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
This is driving me nuts. I can get into every gear without issue except if I go into the lowest (largest on cassette) I cannot change out of it without giving it a helping nudge. Once it's off it's fine all the way down and back up again. This is on a brand new bike, it happend on the first day out so I took it back to the shop but it was quite late, they seemed to sort it but it's started happening again by the time I got the bike out again. Unfortunately the shop is 2 hours drive from here so don't want to have to take it back if I don't have to.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Danny-T
    Hmm just found this thread of a similar nature:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... cks-in-1st

lots to pee about with there then :S
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Which cog in the front?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Danny-T
    Middle, although when it was stuck I tried switching it to smallest and largest, made no diff though.
  • Danny-T
    Just drove it the 2 hours back to where I bought it and they're replacing it. Unfortunately they have none in stock so I'm without my new bike for a week :(

Still, glad I it's getting sorted
  • Being stuck without a bike for a week is poo, but i'd rather go without a bike for a week than have to pay for a new x9. Those things are expensive!

Glad you got it sorted in the end.
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    could it be that the"B" adjust screw needs a tweek to increase the gap between the large sproket and the top jockey wheel?
    I know this adjustment gets overlooked sometimes when setting up a bike.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/RD_ ... _QS_03.PDF
  • Danny-T
    Thanks Catfish but tried adjusting that and even tried it at both extremes, still just stuck. Hopefully the replacement will be the end of it.

Went out on my old bike today with it's 6yr old XT rear mech and realised how gear changes should be. It's only ever been serviced once otherwise has been untouched and has never missed a beat so the X9 has a lot to live up to.
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    Having used both sram and shimano i must admit the sram mech's both front and rear are more of a pig to set up. Lookes like you could have got a bad one.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Bit of a thread resurection but after 500 miles on this rear mech Im getting the same now, WD40 cleared it for a little but then started again, now whacked some teflon lube in it to see if that clears it for longer.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41154

On that picture its basically the 2 pivots upper and lower where the plastic part attaches to the metal part of the mech get either clogged up or too tight, where the Sram logo is.