Rutland Water Like Route

ag227
ag227 Posts: 4
edited August 2010 in Routes
Hello, This is my first post here...

I was wondering if anybody knows of any routes roughly in the midlands area that are similar to Rutland water route. ie, not to technical and rough so rideable by anyone really, and about 15 miles long although +/- 5 or so miles would be ok.

Im starting riding with my girlfriend around places but she hates riding on roads (especially main roads) as her cousin was knocked off his bike years ago and still cant walk properly. The amount of roads at rutland water was ok but much more than this becomes a problem.

All the routes i have found either have a lot of road riding, or some very technical bits, neither of which she could do.

Any advice on places to go? Ive seen sherbrook valley trail at cannock chase and am looking into it.

Preferably if any maps that are as detailed as possible, then i would be very grateful.

Thank you all
Andy

Comments

• mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    try looking at the forestry comission website. They tend to have a lot of family type trails (ie forest fireroad) which might uit
  • Where are you based?
    Pitsford Reservoir, Grafham Water, Draycote Water, Brampton Valley Way.
    All hardpack surfaces with no roads.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Grafham Water near Bedford (though not technically the midlands)

Try searching for canals near you as well as you can cycle on towpaths
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • ag227
    Thanks for all the suggestions, there all great and exactly what I was after. I'll check them all out.

Thanks again :D

Andy
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Draycote was my first route from my house and round is 10 miles, i then started doing laps to build it up, to the point now im sick of the cute bunnies, squirrels, assorted ducks herons and comerants :P

a lap is only 5 miles but its a nice friendly place, cept the Severn Trent workers who ignore the internal 15mph limit early in the morning which can keep the adrenaline flowing.

i use it for turn head off maintenance rides, some nice fruit trees there as well although ive polished off moist of the plumbs :D
  • carsington water near ashbourne is popular.me and the wife have done that and rutland water recently.steady and not overdemanding.could also head up to sherwood forest.decent mix of graded trails and good day out.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You could go round the 'leisure' routes at cannock chase. Plenty of flattish fireroads with no real technical challenge there.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Sustrans Route 41 runs between Rugby and Leamington and links up with Draycote Water. It's not all off road , but the on road bits are generally very quiet.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    Sustrans Route 41 runs between Rugby and Leamington and links up with Draycote Water. It's not all off road , but the on road bits are generally very quiet.

can highly reccomend this

also if you fancy getting a bit more mucky, fairly rough easy in dry can be tricky in wet (friend of mine ended up practically swimming in one deep mud pot hole :D ) ignore the route 41 sign to Birdingbury and carry on on the rail track, eventually comes out on the fosse about 40m up from the start of the offchurch greenway
  • ag227
    thank you all for your suggestions, some really good ones in there and will definitely check them all out!

Thanks again!