Sand - the enemy

DHA987S
DHA987S Posts: 284
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Where I ride (north downs) the majority of places are sandy. Now I have two issues from this, first when riding it's bloody hard - any tips? Second, my chain gets covered in the stuff, am I over doing it by degreasing every time then relubing the chain?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Where do you normally ride - North Downs covers a huge area. We ride in the Surrey Hills, which has virtually no sand.
    But sand is just evil - no easy way to ride it if it is deep.

As for chains, use a dry lube that won't attract much sand, and what is there can be wiped off after the ride.
    Wet lubes will just create a sticky mess.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DHA987S
    cooldad wrote:
    Where do you normally ride

Currently Blackheath, Albury, St Marthas Hill and Newlands Corner area. A lot of the bridelways to get anywhere are sandy
  • As said above, try using dry lube where possible, and sealed bearings on absolutely everything you can.

Other than that, you've just got to be prepared to take a bit more time about cleaning than other, non-sand dwellers, and be prepared to replace stuff a little more often.
  • cooldad
    DHA987S wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Where do you normally ride

Currently Blackheath, Albury, St Marthas Hill and Newlands Corner area. A lot of the bridelways to get anywhere are sandy

Very sandy bits. A few miles across to Holmbury, Pitch and Leith Hill it's much less sandy, and excellent riding. Lots of singletrack.

Take a look at London Calling in rides. We have a loose bunch that normally organise a ride there most weeks, always happy to meet new people. We are a motley crew of various ages, fitness and skill levels and ride for fun so no pressure on heroics unless that's your thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DHA987S
    cheers, will take a look. But I think I need to improve my fitness and stamina, my legs had nothing in them today :cry:
  • DHA987S wrote:
    Where I ride (north downs) the majority of places are sandy. Now I have two issues from this, first when riding it's bloody hard - any tips? Second, my chain gets covered in the stuff, am I over doing it by degreasing every time then relubing the chain?

Cheers

Find more of it and ride as hard as you can

Its great for building fitness!! :D
  • cooldad
    DHA987S wrote:
    cheers, will take a look. But I think I need to improve my fitness and stamina, my legs had nothing in them today :cry:

That's ok, we spend quite a lot of time resting. But if you want to check the area out quite happy to do a ride at your pace.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools