Durace Ace 7850 wheels clicking

birdy247
birdy247 Posts: 454
edited September 2010 in Workshop
I have a pair of dura ace 7850 wheels.

I have done about 1500 miles on them and the front one is now making some weird clicking sounds from the hub. It sounds like a kind of clicking/clunking sound.

I asked a good cyclist about it and he said I may have some grit or something in there.

Is there anything I can do to stop this sound?

Thanks

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Sell them to me for £100 :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • nodman7
    nodman7 Posts: 142
    i have the same noise, starts clicking, then gets louder

if i take the wheel out n put it back in its ok for another 50 to 100 miles or so, stripped the hub down several times n cleaned n regreased, everything looked ok, changed the skewer and it still does it

pissing me right off it is
  • nodman7
    nodman7 Posts: 142
    forgot to say, it only does it when stood up pedalling
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Mine do it when out of the saddle, also when i am simply pushing the bike along out of the house. If i simply spin the front wheel slowly by hand, it makes the clicking sound, kind of like a bearing is slipping back into place.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Mine used to click but then progressed to a creak! Sound bloody awful.
    They have been back to shop and rebuilt but exactly the same. Now back at shimano and if they are still the same someone is going to get these crap wheels wrapped around their head TdF stylee!
    Wish I had never seen the bloody things.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • wicked wrote:
    They have been back to shop and rebuilt but exactly the same. Now back at shimano and if they are still the same someone is going to get these crap wheels wrapped around their head TdF stylee!

For £500 I wouldn't expect this clicking sound. I may follow you on the route by sending them back to shimano to fix/replace.
  • wicked
    birdy247 wrote:
    wicked wrote:

For £500 I wouldn't expect this clicking sound. I may follow you on the route by sending them back to shimano to fix/replace.

Too right mate. I would not put up with it on a pair of £100 wheels never mind £500! Mine stated clicking on the front and then progressed to a creak on the front and then creaking both ends. During a ride it starts off not too bad and then gets worse and worse.

I have been fannying around sending wheels back and forth for a month and have already told the shop i will only accept a replacement, which I will promptly flog along with all the ultegra rubbish and get SRAM or campag. Bloody shimano its crap. :evil:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • wicked
    so cheesed off I am double posting now!
  • heh your freewheel clicking? noob :wink:
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • wicked
    Woo hoo! Got a refund! :D Well rid.
    To be fair the shop have been great throughout but now I think wheelsmith will be getting a call.............