Cateye Strada Wireless Setup.....

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Evening folks.....just been bought a cateye strada wireless and have a question about the sensor set up. The instructions state to put the widget on the forks facing backwards but I have seen a couple posts on here suggesting that the sensor should always face forward (for safety reasons?).

Grateful for any advice.....ta
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• I use a cateye micro wireless and have always set it up on the rear of the fork leg. Not had any problems with it, not even had to change the batteries in the leg sensor in the 4 years I've used it (prob will now though!) :lol:
  • Sgt_Pepper
    Sgt_Pepper Posts: 172
    The reason that people put the sensor facing forwards is so if it ever comes into contact with a spoke it wont be dragged into the wheel, but rather just pushed back out.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I have one on both my bikes and have them facing forwards for safety sake
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    I changed mine from rear facing to forward facing following a couple of threads on here about potentially getting caught in a spoke and locking the wheel.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I don't think the sensor or its mounting would have the strength to cause a wheel lock-up, it would disintegrate first. Just a hypothetical and imaginary issue IMHO.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    IMO you can basically mount it front, back, upside down, high, low and there isn't a massive advantage to any placement. Personally I mount it rearward and high because it just seems to stay out of the way more when removing the front wheel and if you're riding around branches or high brush the fork protects it from getting wacked out of place, But if I woke up and the sensor fairy had moved it to another spot it wouldn't bother me too much.