Wheels and tyres for a lightweight girl.

flybike
flybike Posts: 84
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi, yep, it's the old 'what wheels/tyres' question, but hopefully with a bit of a difference....

My boyfriend, being brilliant (!) bought me an mmmbop with fox float forks (15mm QR) and built it up with some rather nice components he had spare. The only thing I really need to upgrade is the wheels as the old ones are a bit on the heavy side, and his budget has been blown..... Am planning on going tubeless so need wheels and tyres that suit. So far I am going with hope pro 2 hubs with 15mm converter and stans 355 rims but no idea what tyres to go for! I am 60kg (9st 4) with all my gear and ride light so lightweight wheels/tyres a must, bombproof not so much! Any advice much appreciated on wheels/tyres or pointers to past threads I may have missed. Typically ride singletrack hardpack, some rocky sections and muddy bits. Budget, £400 all in.
Thanks guys :D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://www.nextdaytyres.com/Tyres/Maxxis/Crossmark.aspx

I have a pair of these running tubless on Stans Arch rims.

Very light and perfect for a lighter rider. I did manage to pop the rear off the rim once, but I weigh almost twice as much as you and had it pumped to maximum pressure.

Not the best in mud, but great in dry hardpack conditions.
  • Anonymous
    Forgot to say, it's the 26x2.1 folding version I'm talking about, £19.99 each.
  • flybike
    Thanks for that suggestion! I'll look into it :)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah a Crossmark for the rear and something like an Ardent for the front, some of the new Bontrager tubeless ready range are worth investigating to.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    You weigh the same as me. I have got a Maxxis Ardent on the rear and ADVantage on the front (all 2.35 folding but come up a bit bigger). Im not running them tubeless but they have been fine for me and are pretty light (comparing to my old ignitors which were wire bead)
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • flybike
    Well, managed to get a set of Hope pro 3 hubs with stans 355 rims for just shy of £300 so am going to try some Maxxis crossmarks tubeless and see how I go!

Many thanks, much appreciated :D
  • Anonymous
    flybike wrote:
    Well, managed to get a set of Hope pro 3 hubs with stans 355 rims for just shy of £300 so am going to try some Maxxis crossmarks tubeless and see how I go!

Many thanks, much appreciated :D

That's excellent combination. You'll notice a massive difference to your old wheels, it'll be like someone has fitted a turbo to your bike.