Isopropyl Alcohol or Meths?

bertberr
bertberr Posts: 151
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone know if I can substitute meths for IPA when it comes to cleaning various bits & pieces during a Rockshox fork service?

I believe they are very similar, just that meths has an additive to give it the purple colour, but since RS specifically state IPA in their 2006 Service Guide, I just wondered if perhaps the additive in the meths (or something else for that matter) might be harmful to seals/bushes etc in a fork?

Only I have gallons of bloody meths and no IPA, so just want to know if I can save myself a few bob... :?:

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Meths is usually good for the job, but unfortunately they are not all the same, some have slight amounts of oil added.

Let some evaporate off a clean surface, and see if it leaves a residue.
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253
    I think IPA is better. The Meths I have, which is supposed to be pretty pure, seems to leave a residue.
    I got my IPA of fleabay, cheap as chips...... :D
  • bertberr
    bertberr Posts: 151
    Yup, I will try the 'residue' test, but if in any doubt I'll just grab a litre off ebay.
  • have a quick search on google in your area for glass fibre/carbon fibre places, they will have IPA and possibly cheaper than ebay??

ipa is also very handy if you drop your phone in any liquid as it'll remove the residue and dry invisible, especially handy if your phone just happened to 'Stop working' after a liquid incident which doesnt trigger the water indicaters when your talking to the phone people! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    bertberr wrote:
    Does anyone know if I can substitute meths for IPA when it comes to cleaning various bits & pieces during a Rockshox fork service?

I believe they are very similar, just that meths has an additive to give it the purple colour, but since RS specifically state IPA in their 2006 Service Guide, I just wondered if perhaps the additive in the meths (or something else for that matter) might be harmful to seals/bushes etc in a fork?

Only I have gallons of bloody meths and no IPA, so just want to know if I can save myself a few bob... :?:

Cheers

Meths and IPA are not the same, you will find that meths is not as good a solvent as IPA which aside from the obvious lack of cleaning power also means that meths would be less likely to cause any harm than IPA. Meths is basically regular drinkable alcohol that has been made undrinkable by the addition of additives one of which is methanol.

As for any oil residues, which are likely to be present - Would you not be filling the fork with oil afterwards?

Either way, you can do a good job without either.
    Giant Reign X1