Vuelta stage 3 spoiler

Cumulonimbus
Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Cavendish dropped by two minutes after 9km :shock: It is a second cat climb that they start up mind you.

http://www.lavuelta.com/10/en/online/index.html?e=3

Guess he'll be hoping that an attack gets away soon so he can rejoin the main group

Looks like any vague chance that he could cling onto red have gone now as he must get dropped on the 1st cat climb and finish a long way down. However, will it pass to one of his team-mates or can someone from another team take it - there's a 20 second win bonus to help overcome the TTT deficit.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    There's a long section of flat before the 1st cat, so I guess he could get back on if the peloton has a mid afternoon siesta. But yeah, he has no chance of keeping the jersey.

19 different riders picked in PTP today. I think that's the hive mind saying "we ain't got a flippin' clue".
  • Cumulonimbus
    afx237vi wrote:
    There's a long section of flat before the 1st cat, so I guess he could get back on if the peloton has a mid afternoon siesta. But yeah, he has no chance of keeping the jersey.

19 different riders picked in PTP today. I think that's the hive mind saying "we ain't got a flippin' clue".

:lol: Yeah, its a tough stage to pick

Cav's deficit is three minutes at 44km and the first cat starts at 102 but its classed as a mountain stage so hopefully the time limit will be kind on him. The ticker said some of HTC are back with him but doesnt say how many, or indeed whether there are other stragglers there too. im guessing the likes of Velits, van Garderen and Siutsou are in the peloton as they could take the red.

EDIT: and just as a iwrite that Cav gets back on. Six riders out front.
  • afx237vi
    Augustyn abandoned. What happened to this guy? He was so promising a couple of years ago.
  • Cumulonimbus
    afx237vi wrote:
    Augustyn abandoned. What happened to this guy? He was so promising a couple of years ago.

The vuelta website says he withdrew because of a crash

http://www.lavuelta.com/10/en/online/index.html?e=3

Dont know what has happened to him, looked promising in the 2008 tour on one of the mountain stages (Jausiers?). Maybe just bad luck/domestique duties? He is only just 24 now so hopefully he has a brighter future.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    afx237vi wrote:
    He signed for Sky. Name me a rider who's joined this team and progressed. Go on...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    Russell Downing.

I can't name two though. :wink:
  • afx237vi
    Kléber wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    He signed for Sky. Name me a rider who's joined this team and progressed. Go on...

Geraint Thomas, but point taken.

Augustyn is a weird one, though. With the climbing potential he showed before that crash on the Bonette, you'd think it wouldn't matter what team he was on.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Blel Kadri (AG2R-La Mondiale), Javier Ramirez (Andalucia), Egoi Martinez (Euskaltel), Jelle Vanendert (Omega Pharma Lotto). Serafin Martinez (Xacobeo Galicia), Niki Terpstra (Milram) and Mickaël Chérel (FDJ) now leads by five minutes from a peloton that does include Cavendish.

110KM to go....
  • Kléber
    Yes, Thomas is one of the few riders to improve. Downing is probably on the same level, it's just he has the chance to show his abilities. He won the Tour of Ireland last year.

I was only being mischievous for Sky in a bid to liven up the debate but they seem to have had a lot of bad luck with their riders, crashes, injuries etc.

As for Augustyn, he's never got any decent results, he is 896th on the Cycling Quotient rankings, and was 780th last year, 646th in 2008 and his best 376th in 2007. Not exactly a points grabber.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Kléber wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Possoni and Henderson have had their best ever seasons. Flecha had his best classics season.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Cumulonimbus
    Stage 16 of the 2008 tour.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... s/tour0816

Augustyn is the first over the Bonette but was caught on the descent and then had a nasty crash. Maybe not a points grabber but a promising result for a 21 year old?

Back OT, the gap had gone out over 9 minutes as Columbia wouldnt chase. However, Liquigas and Katusha are doing some work on the front now and the gap is down to 8:30. Maybe Liquigas fancy today's stage for Nibali?
  • afx237vi
    Stage 16 of the 2008 tour.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... s/tour0816

Augustyn is the first over the Bonette but was caught on the descent and then had a nasty crash. Maybe not a points grabber but a promising result for a 21 year old?

Back OT, the gap had gone out over 9 minutes as Columbia wouldnt chase. However, Liquigas and Katusha are doing some work on the front now and the gap is down to 8:30. Maybe Liquigas fancy today's stage for Nibali?

That's what I mean. He's never won any big races, but two years ago you would have expected him to become a good stage-racer. But there's been quite literally nothing from him since he fell off the Bonnette.
  • Kléber
    He needs to do something, spending years as "that bloke who rode off the side of a mountain" must be annoying.

Back in the Vuelta the break has a big lead. It'll be interesting to see which teams try to shape the race.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    1.75 km 6% uphill finish. Love it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Eurosport starts..........
    The finish looks well hard.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Ben Swift migrating home.
  • afx237vi
    Carnage already on the 1st cat :shock:
  • All of Sky ill overnight.
    Peter Kennaugh will be the next to drop.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    They reckon it might be food poisoning - lot of the staff also ill. Augustyn and Swift worst affected hence being the first to drop out not a surprise.
  • afx237vi
    All of Sky ill overnight.
    Peter Kennaugh will be the next to drop.

That's what you get for eating out in Marbella.
  • afx237vi
    Young Schleck... dropped.
  • afx237vi
    Moncoutie going for KOM points.

Martin Pederson weaving across the road... ouch :shock:
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    Any chance of Nibali going for it on the descent today? I'd love to see him attack on a descent at some point in the race, he was pretty awesome downhill in the Giro.
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • afx237vi
    msw wrote:
    Any chance of Nibali going for it on the descent today? I'd love to see him attack on a descent at some point in the race he was pretty awesome downhill in the Giro.

I think the group's too big for that and it's too far from the finish. So I doubt it.
  • afx237vi
    14 km to, Serafin Martinez still has 1'23". No one team chasing... he has a chance.
  • afx237vi
    7.5 km to go... Still over a minute for Martinez. Cherel, Moncoutie and Egoi M are still in the middle.
  • Bernardus
    Bernardus Posts: 136
    Lotto (Gilbert) and Astana (Gaspa) chasing.
  • Looks like he's taking the red off Cav??
  • afx237vi
    Looks like he's taking the red off Cav??

If not him, whoever wins. Cav is miles back.
  • Be good for the locals if he does.

What are the time bonuses?