2008 Mavic Aksiums - will they withstand light off-road use?

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Hi All,

Looking at the other forums, I think this is best posted here. Let me know if it isn't though :)

I've just bought a Kona Jake for all year round trail riding (light trail/bridleways) and hope to use it for a couple of CX events. It'll deputise for my regular road bike when the weather is really pants.

So, in peoples experience/opinion will Mavic Aksiums be up to the task? I weigh 79 kgs if that makes a difference. I've had a look at what tyres to pair them with and think the Schwalbe CX Comps (700x30) fit the bill. According to Mavic the rims are good for anything up to 700x32

I'll be riding around the Norhants/Cambs area so they won't be used on any harsh/technical routes. (the bridleways are probably smoother than the roads anyway)

Can anyone forsee any issues with this? Or, would I be better sticking with the standard Tiagra hub/Alex rim wheels that cam on the bike?

They're just sitting in my shed and thought I could make use of them.

Thanks in advance.
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    I've used them on rocky canal towpaths and bridleways and they held up fine.
  • jordan_217
    El Diego wrote:
    I've used them on rocky canal towpaths and bridleways and they held up fine.

Thanks El Diego!

Looks like I need to go tyre shopping.....
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I used 2008 Aksiums on my commuter. I'm 15 stone and found that after a year or so the back wheel got v noisy. Various deep cleans and adjustments by the LBS would quieten it for a while but the noise came back. Problem wouldn't occur with lighter riders (ie the staff at the LBS!). On the basis of my experience I wouldn't use an Aksium on the back again unless I lost 3 or 4 stone!
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    ive got 2006 Mavic Ksyrium Equipes on my Giant FCR2 and have been down some rough byways, towpaths , disused railway lines and the wheels have coped fine, they are a lot more robust than you might think.
  • My colleague (14 stone) uses Aksiums for CX - no problems whatsoever.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • jordan_217
    Thanks for the advice everyone :D

I'm quite impressed with the Conti SpeedKing Cross tyres that came with the bike but at 35mm they're not going to work with the Aksiums. Shame.

kettrinboy - I'm not far from you, in Thrapston. Can you recommend any good routes? PM me if you have time.

ex-pat scot - Lucky man, you live in a nice part of the world! I often go back up to Boro to see family. My last big ride up there went from Stokesley on the B1257, over Chop Gate and up/down/up/down into Helmsley. Then across to, and down Sutton Bank (yikes), across the A19 to Northallerton and back over towards Nunthorpe via Osmotherly. I'd love to move back! Awesome.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    My Aksiums managed to come away unscathed in a RTA , bike was totalled, frame and forks bent so badly to warrant them useless but somehow the wheels came away true and unscathed, They are very robust :)
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    I'm quite impressed with the Conti SpeedKing Cross tyres that came with the bike but at 35mm they're not going to work with the Aksiums. Shame.

I have a Jake the Snake 2009. This came with Mavic Aksium wheelset and those very same tyres. Have performed very well over the past year, and i bash it around quite a bit (quite a lot, actually).

Last winter i used 42mm studded tyres - absolutely no probs there regarding size. Will be using them again as it gets a bit snowy here in Norway.

Which model/year Jake do you have?
  • I Got a Jake the Snake 2010 a few months ago and it came with Mavic Aksiums fitted with Continental SpeedKing Cross 700x35C tyres.

No problem at all with the size but they have worn down quicker than I expected and I've had 3 punctures on the rear tyre (thorn and glass) so I'm trying a different make next.

Im about 12.5 stone and I have a trunk bag on the back that carries my lunch, a few essentials and a heavy duty D lock so there is a bit of weight on the back tyre. I've done about 800 miles on it and it's my first bike since I was young so I'm not sure how long tyres should be lasting.

I've just put one of these on the back and will replace the conti on the front when that goes with one... they get decent reviews and are pretty cheap...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Schwa ... 360042609/

Reasonably slick down the middle for decent road use but nobbly on the sides for more offroad conditions.

In answer to your original question though, I travel on some pretty rough trails every day and the Aksiums have been really good.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Stephenite wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

I have a Jake the Snake 2009. This came with Mavic Aksium wheelset and those very same tyres. Have performed very well over the past year, and i bash it around quite a bit (quite a lot, actually).

Last winter i used 42mm studded tyres - absolutely no probs there regarding size. Will be using them again as it gets a bit snowy here in Norway.

Which model/year Jake do you have?

ooh ooh ooh, which 42mm is that? Can you get a fender on there? My Jake the Snake needs to know.
  • Hei Mickey

Schwalbe Marathon Winter are the tyres. Can't remember which shop i picked them up from. About 500 kr each. Worth every øre if you want to ride in the winter. I think they're better than the Hakkapelita for the conditions here.

I bought mud-guards from Oslo Sportslageret to go over them, and you get between 5 and 12mm clearance between tyre and guard.. I can't remember what they're called though. Sorry.

Maybe our Jakes can say hello to one another. Oo er, that sounds a bit wierd! I'm moving into my gf's this week out in Lambertseter so a weekend is best. Preferably, a bakgård where we can enjoy an utepils and look at the bikes. :)