Just bought a RockShox Reba fork that has a carbon crown and steerer

What would be better,

a headlock type headset adjuster?
17766.jpg
or an expander?
19009.jpg

x2l64w.jpg

vrspat.jpg

I also have an SKS Shockboard front mud guard, if I fit a headlock type adjuster will I still be able to fit this?

unless the thread of the expander bolt goes out the bottom part then I could possiblyfit the bracket for the shock board with a thin stainless nut?
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you use a bolt through set up, you will not be able to use the mud guard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    From the looks of it, there is no lower hole on the crown to fit a headlock type device through either.
  • My new 2011 rev with a carbon taper steer came with a expander type.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Damn didn't notice there was no though hole

oh well expander it is then, I was looking at headlocks as a kind of fail safe if the worse happens and to add a bit more strength and security.

was just looking at a THE Stem Lock and Pro DH mudguards in carbon effect... bang goes that idea

Going to have to change mudguard mount, unless plastic can be glued to carbon with a bit of epoxy or something as I could glue my spare q/r mudguard bracket to the base of the crown
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Anonymous
    I'm guessing it's a bad idea to use a star fangled nut, right? Cause it would gouge the carbon?
  • nicklouse
    I'm guessing it's a bad idea to use a star fangled nut, right? Cause it would gouge the carbon?

correct and it can cause the fork to fail.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Anonymous
    Fair enough. I suspected as much, but just wanted some clarification.
  • nicklouse wrote:

correct and it can cause the fork to fail.

Does not stop RS supplying a expander and a SFN with 2011 rev world cups. I recon a few people will try using them as well as the instructions dont mention anything.
  • nicklouse
    yes it does.
    Suspension fork IN STALLATION
    It is extremely important that your RockShox suspension fork (fork) is installed correctly by a qualified
    bicycle mechanic. Improperly installed forks are extremely dangerous and can result in severe
    and/or fatal injuries.
    1. Remove the existing fork from the bicycle. Measure the RockShox steerer tube against the length
    of the existing one as you may need to cut the RockShox steerer tube. If your RockShox fork has a
    tapered steerer tube, be sure to leave enough steerer above the taper in order to clamp the stem.
    Prior to cutting, consult your stem manufacturer's instructions to determine the length of steerer tube
    required to clamp the stem.
    Aluminum or steel crown-steerer: mark the steerer tube and cut to the proper length.
    Dual crown-steerer: mark the steerer tube and cut to the proper length. If using a direct mount stem
    make sure 5 mm of steerer tube is exposed above the upper crown and cut to the proper length.
    Carbon crown-steerer: the steerer tube must be cut flush with the top of the stem. Apply masking
    tape at the cut location to help prevent the carbon from fraying. Use a 28-tooth blade (minimum) and
    cut to the proper length. Smooth the entire cut area with 400 grit sand paper.
    2. Remove the crown race from the existing fork and install it firmly against the RockShox crown Use a
    39.8 mm crown race for 1 1/2" steerer tubes and a 29.9 mm crown race for 1 1/8" steerer tubes.
    Do not damage the surface of the carbon crown-steerer when removing and installing the crown
    race.
    3. Aluiminum or steel crown-steerer: install a star nut or headset compression device into the steerer
    tube.
    Carbon crown-steerer: install an expansion style plug into the steerer tube. Do not apply more than
    11.3 N·m (100 in-lb) of torque to the expansion plug bolt. Do not use star nuts. Torque values may
    vary depending on headset design and condition