Enduro s-works + e150 fork

J273
J273 Posts: 382
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

Bit of a noob to all ths :oops:

Ive just bought a replacement Large s-works frame to replace my medium as i think the mediums a little on the small side for me.

Problem is ,ive now realized the medium frame and large frame use two different size e150 forks ( large and x-large use x-large stanchions)

The steerer on the frame is 1/2 difference between the two frames. with me having a medium frame and the smaller stanchions the steerer tube on the e150s is too short.Ive managed to get hold of a replacement uncut steerer for the e150s.

Obviously im going to have to lower the bottom crown to the low extension mark on the forks from the pics below also id have to remove the top spacer ive marked on the below image.

Im a bit new to all of this so what i want to know is,is it ok to remove the top spacer?..as if i remove that + lower the bottom crown on the stanchions ,that makes up the 1/2 inch difference between the two frames.

Hope that makes sense?

IMG_2585-1.jpg
IMG_2587.jpg
IMG_2586.jpg

Also going by this thread:

the bikes a large carbon with the x-l forks see how far the stanchions stick out the top,mines going to be on the lowest mark on the stanchions though.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... light=e150

Comments

• nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Sell the old forks and frame and get a new (better) fork! :lol:
  • J273
    Need to sell the old frame to pay for this :)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I would put a thinner spacer just to give the steerer tube nut something to bite onto as it's only Thin allu and it might strip the thread if you tighten straight to the top crown.I would also put a thinner spacer between the headset top and the underside of the top crown to stop wear if you can get away with it.Your LBS should have loads of various thickness spacers,they're cheap enough to do a bit of "trial and error".

Good choice of bike BTW I've had mine two and a half years and love it 8)
  • sniper68
    nick1962 wrote:
    Sell the old forks and frame and get a new (better) fork! :lol:
    If it's had the cartridges sorted the fork is a belter 8)
  • J273
    Ok thanks for that....Do you think with me moving the bottom crown to the min extension on the stanchions will affect the set up of the bike at all?
  • sniper68
    It's minor.I generally run mine bang in the middle but have tried it at various levels and the difference is not that noticeable really.