what do i do?

luigi_t8
luigi_t8 Posts: 71
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
i'm in a dilema. i have a 2000 stumpjumper and i want to replace the forks at some point however when i do i will have to switch to disc on the front and therefore need to get a disc hub as i currently have hs33's as there are no disc mounts on the rear. for money's sake i think it would be best to get a disc hub first and then forks as i have a disc to run already; however my new forks will most probably have a maxle/ thruaxle/ 15qr etc. is there a hub that i can get that will allow me to use it with my skewers now and then convert it to axle when i get the forks? oh just another thing. i will change reeaub at the same time so can anyone recommend a good hub that is noisy ( i've always wanted a noisy freehub)

LT

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a fork with Canti mounts.

it is not just the cost of a new hub but most likely new spokes and a wheel unbuild and re build. or buy a new wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    do as Nick says.
    BUT, if you are adamant that you want to change to disc brakes, then a Hope ProII front hub will adapt to any kind of axle.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Get a new bike ???

You're looking at £270-£300 for a new set of wheel if you want to chaneg both.
    £100-£200 for new brakes.
    PLUS ?? depending on the fork you get.

All that for a 10 year old bike. You could get a Fury for £600 with a nice fork and kit thats probaly as good if not beter than your 10 year old stuff.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    warrerj wrote:
    Get a new bike ???

All that for a 10 year old bike. You could get a Fury for £600 with a nice fork and kit thats probaly as good if not beter than your 10 year old stuff.

What? You can pick disc brakes up for £50 and wheels for £100.
  • luigi_t8
    luigi_t8 Posts: 71
    even though it may be old its still a great bike. full XTR group set, you'd pay a bomb for that these days. anyway what i was gonna do was replace the forks then wheels and then get a new frame. probs an orange 5 unless anyone can recommend a better all mountain trail bike. i just want something that can handle fairly rough terrain, trail centres but still climb.

whats the opinion on build vs buy whole bike?

LT
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    chedabob wrote:
    warrerj wrote:
    Get a new bike ???

What? You can pick disc brakes up for £50 and wheels for £100.

Ehh at that price whatever you buy will be gash....a decent set of brakes will cost at least a ton and wheels £150 plus
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Depends if he just changes the front.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."