Hardcore hardtail frame

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
I have decided to do a custom build hardtail. I want something for playing on the local DH/FR track so it needs to be strong enough to take 16 stone over jumps & drops but also handle well through fast turns and rock gardens.
I was thinking of the On-One 456 Summer season, is this good for what I want? Any other ideas, £200ish budget for frame.
I was thinking that the 456 ss with some pike u-turn forks would be good for the downhill & not bad to ride back up for the next run.
Ragley Mmm-bop also looks good but not sure if it's quite as tough as the 456ss frame or aimed at this style of riding.

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    at 200 quid. it'd have to be the mmmbop with big forks and even then it's subject to just how aggressive you're going, i'd snag one now if you can while they're 150 quid ish
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    There aren't loads of good frames out there for less than £300 anyway. You can write off most stuff coming from the States or Canada. If you fancy something different to the dime-a-dozen On-one/Ragley options then try the DMR Exalt, which is a nice rig for £250. Dialled bikes Alpine is lovely but quite expensive at £380 and the Cotic BFe is nails but still costs £370.

There are a load of 4x frames out there that will take a kicking, but not really designed to take a long fork and will require more skill to ride fast, I think they are a lot more fun than a hardcore hardtail if all you're doing is riding down mental trails and slogging back up tarmac or fireroads. Good examples are the Identiti Krisis and the Charge Blender
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Is the Mmmbop as tough as the 456ss? I got the impression it's designed more for trail riding.
    For the build I was thinking of 140/150mm frok (domain or pike) some tough DH/FR rims. 1x9 gearing with chain guide and generally pick componants for strength over weight.
    I have got my Trance for trail riding and it is surprisingly fast downhill though it's too expensive & I'm too fat to confidently ride it over the jumps and drops with the exception of a few small ones.
  • blister pus
    Is the Mmmbop as tough as the 456ss? I got the impression it's designed more for trail riding..

trail riding - plus, with a better geometry for the task
  • rockmonkeysc
    But will the mmmmmmmmbop be any better than the Trance on the DH track? Not sure about riding jumps/drops on a alloy frame, it's going to take some stick with my weight landing on it. Steel seems like a good idea to me, less brittle & if I break it I am pretty handy with a TIG welder.
  • blister pus
    put it like this, it's your best option at the price and it's specifically built to take a battering but there's always the blue pig option
  • rockmonkeysc
    Blue Pig looks like it could be good. Are the blue pig & mmmbop based on the same geometry? I could stretch the budget another hundred if it will get me a much better frame.
  • blister pus
    much better? no. it's has the same geometry as the mmmbop only it's steel with a few design variations that suit steel better that's all. and both frames are thoroughly CEN tested and both built to take a battering above and beyond the call of duty. whether that includes you at 16+ stone jumping off a cliff is another story.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both bikes reach the new CEN tests - both bikes claim to comfortably exceed it.

Steel may have an advantage for impacts from rocks ie dents. But generally speaking, they are all tough bikes designed for purpose. 95% of DH frames are made from alloy - how many steel ones do you see? When done correctly, aluminium frames are not weak.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Only difference between the mmmBop and Blue Pig is weight. You would have to try very hard to break an mmmBop IMHO. Its also designed to be very slack, especially with a 160mm fork, a Fox 36 Vanilla or Float would suit it perfectly.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • SteveCHT
    SteveCHT Posts: 24
    Ragley Mmmbop has my vote here. I'v had it since xmas just gone. Been all over Ireland, UK, Alps and Montana with it. Just an amazing ride. Climbs like a demon and goes down even better. I'v dropped mine of 5-6 foot drops. Really really can't recommend it enough. It's AMAZING. You can build it up rather light too. The colour is really slick (I have green) its a real head turner.
    The death of the bike begins with its start
    The most efficient machine on the plant
    Often referred to as the noblest invention

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2
  • rockmonkeysc
    Looks like it will be a mmmmmmmmmmmbop build. I spoke to someone today who has rode one & owns a blue pig, he says it should be pretty good as a downhill fun bike, obviously not as fast as a DH bike but should be good for playing on the local tracks.
    I will build it up with a set of revelations with tapered steerer (found a reliable used set) to keep the front nice & stiff. 1x10 gearing with chain guide & bash and a set of custon built FR wheels. Not sure why but I think I may go for the snot green frame. Not worried about weight as it's being built for gravity riding & I could loose a fair amount of weight off my fat ass before worrying too much about the weight of my bikes.
    The wife will wish she had never agreed to buy me a frame!