Alu frame after crash

georgezippybungle
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
I was riding to work 3 weeks ago when I was knocked off by a car..... ambulance and pain etc.... :( but that's another story.
My question is about the bike, which was damaged. It's an old trek 7000 from 1994 modded into a commuter bike with slicks and road gearing.
In the crash the handlebars were snapped and both wheels twisted but the frame looks straight and hasn't taken any knocks. I do like the old thing and fancy fixing it.
The LBS inspected it for an insurance claim and suggested to me that the frame ought to be ok. I realise no definitive answer can be given but are these old Trek frames quite durable? It's been my impression over the years that they are, or would I be insane to ride an aly frame that has been in a crash?

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I had an old trek 4300 that I was rear-ended on. Back wheel totally buckled but frame seemed fine. Replaced the back wheel & carried on riding it until it was nicked :(
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Did the LBS check the steerer, too? If not, they should do so.

Also:

1. Was your frame handed to the LBS in a dirty condition and, if so, did they return it to you in the same condition? If so, I would wipe off the dirt and check for cracks.

2. Do you have spare wheels (or can you borrow some) you can insert into the drop-outs to check the frame alignment?

Apologies if the LBS covered these areas.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    LBS can check alignment by measuring various things a checking certain angles. I would assume they would've done this before returning it.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Truthfully I'd have to say it's your decision. It is unlikely that the LBS has done much more than take a quick look at the frame unless they are serious enthusiasts (where is the margin for them?). Give it a very good clean and check for any signs of cracks and/or distortion. I think you'll be lucky if you've got away with it - but if a good visual check doesn't throw up any issues then you should be good to go.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I haven't seen your bike but from what you've said....

Let the car insurance get you a shiney new bike

If the frame is 15 years old and has had a serious impact it's probably time to hang it up

Would you trust the LBS with your life? Some LBS are great and others not so great.

Don't think "cheap" think "safety"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Don't aluminium frames have a finite lifespan due to the way the material fatigues? 15 years sound slike it's probably had a good innings and it's time to get a replacement. If you do, make sure you record the geometry of the fram so you can find a replacement that fits you just as well.