sturmey-archer with gates drive

BiggerBoat
BiggerBoat Posts: 168
edited September 2010 in The workshop
Knocking up a little concept bike for fun. Has anyone put together a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed internal with Gates belt drive? I would like to hear how it goes.
We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
Trek Madone 5.2
Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)

Comments

• snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    BiggerBoat wrote:
    Knocking up a little concept bike for fun. Has anyone put together a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed internal with Gates belt drive? I would like to hear how it goes.
    How are you going to get the belt inside the rear triangle?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    at the moment i dont believe Gates are making a rear cog for the SA hub.

fittings are currently Shimano freehub 9 spline and also shimano and Rohloff geared hubs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    nicklouse wrote:
    at the moment i dont believe Gates are making a rear cog for the SA hub.

fittings are currently Shimano freehub 9 spline and also shimano and Rohloff geared hubs.

I believe that both Gates sprockets and the s3x have "standard freewheel" threads on them, so unless you are worried about running a fixed without a lockring I would expect it to work. Obviously you'd want to check this properly before spending serious money on my say-so, but I don't think it's a showstopper.

It's certainly a setup I'd very much like to try, but I don't have a suitable frame at the moment. I'm looking out for a cost effective adaptation, so if anyone's come across anything, I, for one, would love to know about it.
    S+S couplings would probably do the job, but look to be about £200-£300 to install, and unfortunately I can't classify that as cost-effective :-( .

Cheers,
    W.
  • Can you buy Gates belt drive bits direct from manufacturer, or some well known dealer? I have a belt drive on a new bike, but I want to change the gear ratios.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bacteria Man
    have a chat with the seller they should have a down line supplier.

or drop these guys a line.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What guys? Where? (looks over shoulder nervously)