My Scott CR1 Pro

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
edited August 2010 in Your road bikes
Had my Scott for 3 years now and still love it.

Currently Michelin Pro Race 3's instead of my usual Vittoria's and so far I've been pretty impressed.

4925972623_304e68bd22_z.jpg

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Nice colouring :)

Though is it me, or are your handlebars at a bit of a strange angle?
  • sampras38
    notsoblue wrote:
    Nice colouring :)

Though is it me, or are your handlebars at a bit of a strange angle?

The frame is ever so slightly too big for me, so yeah, I had to angle the bars upwards a little to get the comfort. I've tried various settings and a couple of different stems, but the bars needed to be angled in the end. I can flatten them out on 50-60 milers but anything around the 100 mark and I need the angle.

Next bike will be a size smaller.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Must be really uncomfortable using the drops at that angle. Are the tops of the bars actually higher than your saddle?
    More problems but still living....
  • sampras38
    amaferanga wrote:
    Must be really uncomfortable using the drops at that angle. Are the tops of the bars actually higher than your saddle?

I think the pic makes it look worse than it is tbh.

Although I did do an 80 miler last week with them more flat and it was ok, but I was just a little too stretched. I'm getting golds in 100+ sportives but I know I could go a bit quicker if they weren't so high.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Ive got the same bike, only mines a 2006 model with Ksryium SL,s much stiffer and still comfortable enough for long rides, i put the stock Equipes on my hybrid thereby improving two bikes by buying one set of wheels, Ritchey WCS stem and seatpost are the other main upgrades, nearly 8000 miles with the only breakage so far being a rear mech cable, so well pleased with mine, i couldnt ride mine with the bars at the angle yours are set at though it would kill my wrists cos i use the drops a fair bit.
  • sampras38
    I'll upload another pic soon to show it's not quite so bad.
  • sampras38
    Updated pic after slight bar adjustment and some thicker Richy tape. Did a 60 today with this setting and felt fine, although any flatter and I'll be too stretched.

4934414749_174df581ee_z.jpg
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    That's wrong, even though the bike is ever so slightly too big should not mean you need the handlebars higher than your saddle :shock:
  • sampras38
    freehub wrote:
    That's wrong, even though the bike is ever so slightly too big should not mean you need the handlebars higher than your saddle :shock:

I can't be assed to debate it with you Freehub, as I've gone through lots of tweaking to get where I have it now. Plus, and don't take this the wrong way, I've read a lot of your threads and you talk nonesense a lot of the time..;-)
  • freehub
    sampras38 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I can't be assed to debate it with you Freehub, as I've gone through lots of tweaking to get where I have it now. Plus, and don't take this the wrong way, I've read a lot of your threads and you talk nonesense a lot of the time..;-)

Me talking nonsense? Says the guy with bars set higher than the saddle... :shock:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    freehub wrote:

+1. If the bikes too big I can't see why you'd need a flipped stem.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    what size is the bike, how tall are you and what is your inside leg measurement?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Haha, very good. Backatcha freehub you ninny. :D
  • sampras38
    tri-sexual wrote:
    what size is the bike, how tall are you and what is your inside leg measurement?

It's a 59 and I'm 6ft, and can't remember inside leg.

The previous owner was 6,2 and had a longer reach than me. I swapped his stem for a shorter one and that improved things, but I was still over-stretched. Seat position was also adjusted and I've had a bike fit to see what they though (a good guy but through a friend) and the concensus was the bike was probably about 1 size too big. The flipped stem helped a lot. It's a long story of how I came by the bike in the first place, and my next bike will be a size down.

I do also have a Trek 1.5 that I use for winter training and turbo, and that's a size down.
  • freehub
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Difference is that my saddle is higher than my handlebars and I paid 50 quid to get that bike set up.
  • sampras38
    Sorry folks, Just got back from a ride.

The frame is ever so slightly too big no matter what settings I use. Whether that be tweaking the seat or the bars. I agree the first pic looks a bit daft, but the 2nd pic is what I use for most of my rides. I'm not doing 100 milers all the time and it's only towards the end of those that I get neck ache.

It's a great bike though and it's got me round most of my Sportives in gold times, plus various riding ariound the Alps and the Marmotte route.

The 2nd pic doesn't look so bad in the flesh.
  • freehub
    So if it's too big that it can not fit you then it wants returning, at least with my CAAD9 I could adapt it to fit me, in fact eventually I got the position just right, just before I crashed it oddly enough.
  • sampras38
    freehub wrote:
    So if it's too big that it can not fit you then it wants returning, at least with my CAAD9 I could adapt it to fit me, in fact eventually I got the position just right, just before I crashed it oddly enough.

Freehub..I didn't buy it from a shop, but from a friend who was very ill and he needed the cash..quick. The deal was too good to be true at the time and this was 3 years ago. It's done me very well up to now. I'll probably sell it next year to get a slightly smaller carbon. Most likely another Scott or perhaps a Cervelo. Another friend may be selling his next summer.

I'm off to the Alps again in June next year, and then will look into selling when I get back. It's in lovely nick and I'll be sad to see it go tbh.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    freehub wrote:
    I paid 50 quid to get that bike set up.
    freehub wrote:
    in fact eventually I got the position just right, just before I crashed it oddly enough.

Did you pay yourself then?

C'mon give the guy a break. He bought frame that was a little too big but he enjoys riding it and he can ride it fast. Having your handlebars above your saddle isn't going to make you 'mr cool' round here, but nor is a riser stem eh (even if it's on a CAAD9)?

The thing that makes me laugh the most is that looking at your Caad9, the last photo before the crash, it seems you flipped the stem (reason???) and reduced the saddle height by a fair few cm's (WTF?!?!). Sorry but anyone who does that clearly has no flippin clue about how a bike should fit someone.
  • freehub
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    I paid 50 quid to get that bike set up.
    freehub wrote:
    in fact eventually I got the position just right, just before I crashed it oddly enough.

Did you pay yourself then?

C'mon give the guy a break. He bought frame that was a little too big but he enjoys riding it and he can ride it fast. Having your handlebars above your saddle isn't going to make you 'mr cool' round here, but nor is a riser stem eh (even if it's on a CAAD9)?

The thing that makes me laugh the most is that looking at your Caad9, the last photo before the crash, it seems you flipped the stem (reason???) and reduced the saddle height by a fair few cm's (WTF?!?!). Sorry but anyone who does that clearly has no flippin clue about how a bike should fit someone.

I've never said I am experienced in bike fitting, but anyone can see handlebars above the saddle is not right.

And "yawn", at it again, you have no clue yourself.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you get a smaller frame then you'll struggle to get the bars that high and you'll probably not be comfortable with a significant saddle-bar drop. Even if you do gold times on sportives, you must have a huge frontal area when you're on the tops. If you had a more aerodynamic position you could be quicker. Of course if you have flexibility issues then you may never be able to get a nice aero position.

It does look odd though, even in the second picture.
    More problems but still living....
  • freehub
    These sportives must be hilly ones he's done, it's be hard if it was flat going for gold times on that, it'd show that he has lots of strength tho.
  • EKIMIKE
    freehub wrote:

Ha! Where did that come from? I asked some questions about your Caad9. You can't answer them, because you have no clue. So you say i have no clue? You don't even have a clue about your own bike lol.

Anyway, yeh this guys bike doesn't look ideal. He knows it's too big. He's adjusted it to make it just about rideable but he clearly can't just dump it and splash out on a new one. Just like you can't go out and splash out on a new Caad9 straight away. Is it not wrong that you're riding your winter bike in summer? It's trivial. Definitely no need to bang on about it being 'wrong'.
  • freehub
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Ha! Where did that come from? I asked some questions about your Caad9. You can't answer them, because you have no clue. So you say i have no clue? You don't even have a clue about your own bike lol.

Anyway, yeh this guys bike doesn't look ideal. He knows it's too big. He's adjusted it to make it just about rideable but he clearly can't just dump it and splash out on a new one. Just like you can't go out and splash out on a new Caad9 straight away. Is it not wrong that you're riding your winter bike in summer? It's trivial. Definitely no need to bang on about it being 'wrong'.

I don't have a CAAD9 anymore.

I flipped the stem and lowered the saddle heigh on the advice of a club member and an ABCC coach, and from this I have learnt some things about bike setup.
  • EKIMIKE
    I know you don't have a Caad 9 anymore.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    I love these discussions. :D
    Mens agitat molem
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    freehub wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I don't have a CAAD9 anymore.

I flipped the stem and lowered the saddle heigh on the advice of a club member and an ABCC coach, and from this I have learnt some things about bike setup.

Hang on, you said £50 to set it up, now you say you set it up on advice from someone in your club. make up your mind matey. We need nice coherent arguments on here, like ekimike is presenting, not a studenty shamblefest you always bring to the forum. BTW I am pulling your pisser before you get all holy and huffy.

Have you flipped the stem and lowered the saddle on the winter hack yet ? :D
  • freehub
    I did the 50 quid before.

Thats me winter bike http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/ ... 0246-1.jpg (All built up by myself, apart from BB facing and headset installation.