Bombproof forks and wheels for ragley mmmbop

essex_stu
essex_stu Posts: 93
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
As above.my weight varies between 19-20st and today I finally ordered a mmmbop and all the other bits I required.now I need a suitable air fork and wheels.I'll be doing light trails and x country.I'm trying to build a strong bike which will last for years and don't want to be replacing spokes and truing rims every week.budget is 350 for forks and 200 for wheels.links would be a bonus.Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pikes or Domain Uturns for bomproof.

Wheels, I'd look at Superstar for that price with the toughest rim that they do.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    If you're going after the Pikes, then for your weight might be better going Solo air,
    than changing the coil on the Pikes.
    The Recon 351 Solo Air 2010 has the same lowers, crown and reinforced steerer tube as the Pike.
    It's £280 but it's not the one on the picture, it's this one.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Wheels....Halo Freedomdisc....around £200 pair with Spin Doctor hubs...CRC will build link here
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Bran ... randID=504

These are bomb proof..had them on a Meta a year or so ago....great value
    You can also buy off the shelf...

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products. ... heels_-_26

Review
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... c-08-21326
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    XT hubs with mavic EN521 rims from merlin for less than £150, good hubs and solid strong but not overly heavy rims would be very good wheels for the money and should last ages.
  • Pudseyp
    jayson wrote:
    XT hubs with mavic EN521 rims from merlin for less than £150, good hubs and solid strong but not overly heavy rims would be very good wheels for the money and should last ages.

You got the link ? can't find em ?
  • Glynnd111
    Glynnd111 Posts: 169
    Being around the 20 stone mark myslef i found out the hard way that u need tuff stuff wheels for one.

I went for XT hubs on Mavic 717 rims because thats what everyone seemed to reccomend.

They ended up being sold after a month after so many broken spokes and there were built by merlin so no shoddy build quality

I now have a hope pro II on a ex721 on the rear and and en521 on the front.

My cove Handjob has gone from quite light and fragile to heavy and bombproof i dont ride over stuff i ride through it lol.

Dont worry about weight it means JACK!! to guys as heavy as we are.

By cycling you will lose more weight than any upgrade u could ever make.

Sorry rant over the whole weight weeny culture gets on my Tits
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    Halo freedoms are amazing. I'm 17 stone and ride in the peak district, after a year of hard abuse i took them to lbs to be serviced. They swapped the bearings and hardly had to true them the mechanic was that impressed he bought some for his son.
  • Was looking at halo sas wheels even though they are downhill wheels.will take a look at the freedoms though.I think I'll get the 351 solo air as they have a 20mm maxle and appear to be strong
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • I saw the sun ringle last week but didn't know if they would be strong enough on the xt rear hub tbh
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    ive hammered xt hubs at 18 stones with no problems
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • clint29
    clint29 Posts: 224
    essex_stu wrote:
    Was looking at halo sas wheels even though they are downhill wheels.will take a look at the freedoms though.I think I'll get the 351 solo air as they have a 20mm maxle and appear to be strong
    Halo sas will be too heavy if you are using it as a do it all bike? The Freedoms are the ideal comprimise.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Glynnd111 wrote:
    Sorry rant over the whole weight weeny culture gets on my Tits

Literally ? :lol:

I know what you mean though, I am 14st and tried stupidly light and it don't work!!!

Although, weight weenies don't bother me as I can see the attraction or the challenge, irrespective of the absence of real-world benefits.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The benefits, to an extent, are real to some. But we all draw the line differently how far we take it. If weight didn't matter we'd all be riding 50lb indestructable bikes.
  • Glynnd111
    Glynnd111 Posts: 169
    Everyones first concern these days is weight.

Now i get it if your an XC racer then every gram probably counts when you weigh less than one of my legs but thats if you race.

I got into MTB's in the late 90's and was very happy with my Univega alpina that i built and i enjoyed it never once thinking hmm i wonder if its heavy.

I took a break for 10 years with the discovery of Motorbikes but after an incedent with a fence at speed i promised the wife that i wouldnt ride anymore so i had to get my thrills else where so i turned back to MTB's.

The first bike on my road to recovery was of course was a Fury great bike poor suspension coil wasnt up to my new post Motorbike weight so having limited choice in shops i went for a Voodoo Bokor poor bike good fork.
    So with the money that was left from the motorbike insurance i purchased a Cove Handjob frame and proceeded from there following what i thought was the new rules of MTB's everything has to be light.

How wrong i was

If you ride a Light bike Great go out there and enjoy it

If you ride a heavy bike Great go out there and enjoy it

Who cares how heavy it is aslong as you enjoy it isnt that what we ride for in the first place.

Another rant over
  • SteveCHT
    SteveCHT Posts: 24
    Look at a the recon 130mm. I'm running them on my mmmbop. With in budget, light and can take a big drop. Maciv wheels would be the way to go for me. I'm currently running the mavic crossride. Works really well for me.
    The death of the bike begins with its start
    The most efficient machine on the plant
    Often referred to as the noblest invention

Ragley Mmmbop
    Iron Horse 6point6
    Giant STP
    Kona Stinky
    Globe Roll 2
  • I notice Wiggle currently have DT Swiss E2200 wheels on sale in price-drop. Total about £240 for the set.

Front
    Rear

They don't come much more bombproof than that!
  • Pudseyp
    Glynnd111 wrote:
    Everyones first concern these days is weight.

Now i get it if your an XC racer then every gram probably counts when you weigh less than one of my legs but thats if you race.

I got into MTB's in the late 90's and was very happy with my Univega alpina that i built and i enjoyed it never once thinking hmm i wonder if its heavy.

I took a break for 10 years with the discovery of Motorbikes but after an incedent with a fence at speed i promised the wife that i wouldnt ride anymore so i had to get my thrills else where so i turned back to MTB's.

The first bike on my road to recovery was of course was a Fury great bike poor suspension coil wasnt up to my new post Motorbike weight so having limited choice in shops i went for a Voodoo Bokor poor bike good fork.
    So with the money that was left from the motorbike insurance i purchased a Cove Handjob frame and proceeded from there following what i thought was the new rules of MTB's everything has to be light.

How wrong i was

If you ride a Light bike Great go out there and enjoy it

If you ride a heavy bike Great go out there and enjoy it

Who cares how heavy it is aslong as you enjoy it isnt that what we ride for in the first place.

Another rant over

Tottaly agree..couldn't give a monkies (well within reason) as long as I can pedal it I couldn't give a s**t about the weight...(hope BarShaker doesn't see this) I admit that I have pimped both mine but for me its asthetics as as I love my rides to bits...am I worried about the 35 grams I have saved....no...if my name was Oli Beckinsale then yes weight would be an issue...but for general XC and trail riding I don't give a hoot...

Go for the Freedom discs !!