School Holidays

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
I am almost at the stage of strangling my children. What has not helped is that my son who is 11 1/2 (and aspergers) seems to be hitting puberty and is slowly turning into kevin the teenager. My 6 year old daughter is like a limpet and constantly wants to be entertained. My other son who is 10 (and also aspergers) constantly wants me or Mrs lite to play Yu-gi-oh card games constantly, which we cannot fathom out how to play or even understand.

Pass me the gin, cheers to all other parents in the same boat.

Self indulgent, incoherent whinge over. Thanks. :cry:

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I have just read this post aloud to the mrs and her response was direct and to the point. I quote, "I would kill myself".
    Our 16 year old son is ADHD and the singular reason his younger sister did not appear on the scene for 8 1/2 years. Fortunately she is the complete opposite and their younger brother is just so different to both of them.
    The entertaining is so draining and in our case the endless need for an audience to moronic behaviour. We have no idea how you cope. Good luck.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks, and good luck to you and Mrs Morstar. :)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    four more sleeps and they go back!! yehhhhhh
    My eldest also has aspergers - I don't know if he is a know-all because of the condition or because of his age but you can't tell him anything. He already knows everything about everything, even when he hasn't the foggiest.
    7 year old daughter - is there a hormone surge at this age??? often wonder where we're going to be in the teenage years.
    5 year old and 3 year old - they are great but the 3 year old will p!ss in odd places around the house
    Love them all dearly and wouldn't have it any other way but after 7 weeks, I am ready, and they are ready to go back..

Actually, Sept is going to be ace - they all will be in school as the 3 year old starts at the nursery class at the same school. So, only 1 school drop off and 2.5 days to ride my effing bike!!! wooo hooooo
  • Anonymous
    You have 4 kids, yoinks 3 is tough. Yeah, the boys miss school, but my eldest is probably nervous because he starts senior school which has an ASD unit attached but the kids have to do 60% in the main school and the rest at their own little unit. I am seriously missing my bike, only been out about 4 times in the last 3 weeks, it is my de-stress time, all the worries and problems are pedalled into oblivion. Its a nice feeling when you get time to yourself and all the kids are settled in school/nursery, everyone is better off i think. :D
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    I am impressed by you all.

No kids here, but Mrs Hrun is hard enough work so "Chapeaux"
    A biking runner :)
  • Anonymous
    Hrun wrote:
    I am impressed by you all.

No kids here, but Mrs Hrun is hard enough work so "Chapeaux"

Hope Mrs Hrun doesn't read this forum....... :D
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I'm a parent and a teacher so if it's not one lot it's the other..... :roll:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Hrun
    pottssteve wrote:

So was Mummy Hrun, how stupid are you :D

Friends on facebook have spent all summer looking for ways to get rid of their beloved kids. Why have them :) (don't answer that, we don't for reasons I am not going into ;) )
  • this thread is a great contraceptive ... except it's 25 years too late for me!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Want to entertain a kit with Aspergers? Give them Lego, lots of Lego. Worked for me :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    this thread is a great contraceptive ... except it's 25 years too late for me!

Not quite as good a contraceptive as working in a well known shoe shop (who shall remain nameless) during the back to school period..........puts you right of having kids for a long time!!!
  • Hrun
    Now it makes sense.

I played with Lego and worked summers in a shoeshop chain.

Now I understand my reasoning for not wanting kids :D
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Hooray for Scotland! My sister has been back in school for two weeks now! :twisted:
  • popette
    we have a lego mountain :D
  • Anonymous
    popette wrote:
    you can't tell him anything. He already knows everything about everything, even when he hasn't the foggiest.

Oh my, WillHub is your son?!?

My six year old girl is how I remember my sister being when she was 13-14. A right addichood!

Bring on the school!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Hrun wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

So was Mummy Hrun, how stupid are you
    :D

Friends on facebook have spent all summer looking for ways to get rid of their beloved kids. Why have them :) (don't answer that, we don't for reasons I am not going into ;) )

Answer - very stupid! Thirteen weeks paid holiday a year, totally ruined!!! :lol:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Anonymous
    popette wrote:
    we have a lego mountain :D

Bionicle. If I live to be 100 and never see another bionicle I will be happy. :D
  • popette
    effing hell, we have bionicle mountain too!! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    My son Robert, who is 10 loves Yu-gi-oh cards. I fail miserably trying to decipher the bloody things, at least with lego I have a chance of doing something, not failing at a simple card game.

My 6 year old daughter is a member of Moshi-monsters, an online thing where she has a little community and monsters to look after and play. It is a constant, "Daddy, come and look at this", when all I want to do is sit for 5 mins with a coffee and look through a week old sunday supplement I haven't had time to look at yet.

I am going bonkers, roll on Thursday, kids off to school, bit of shopping, a nice little lunch out and a siesta of sinfulness with Mrs Lite. Happy days. :D
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    I'm quite lucky due to the fact that my daughter (albeit 2 1/2 years old) wants to 'fix' my rear derailleur every time she passes my bike in the hall way. My personal little mechanic.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Have you noticed how the weather forecast has dramatically improved now that school holidays are nearly over. :roll: . Good timing for those who get their cycling freedom back!

I was looking forward to September - youngest starts school and I planned some good ride time before winter creeps in and before I think about going back to work in a few months. No such luck - daughter is on a 4-week induction programme - 2hrs a day at school!! She doesn't start full-time until October (and then it will nearly be half-term). Grrrr. I know I shouldn't wish away the childhood years but she is so excited about going to school and ready to do a 6 hr day (she did 4 hr sessions at pre-school), and I am so ready to get some long rides in again. :D
  • How times have changed, when I was a child it was up to us to entertain ourselves and make our own fun, usually with the aid of various size balls i.e. football/cricket and a load of mates. Our parents biggest problem was getting us in for our meals.

My children on the other hand (who are now young adults) always looked to me and Mrs Tank for entertainment. My eldest has Aspergers and was very hard work but to DMCLite and co stick at it put the effort in on behalf of you children (with extra needs) and the rewards will be fantastic, believe me, I have the tee-shirt.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Anonymous
    Thanks Frank, and you are right, me and Mrs Lite have been getting tougher on the boys, forcing them out (gently!) to make their own entertainment. :D
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    My daughters are 18 and 20 and just as much trouble as they always were!
    The oldest has a personality disorder and suffers from depression so depends on me 52 weeks a year. The youngest has just finished A levels and is off to Uni at the end of September and thinks she knows everything.
    They are continually arguing, and the oldest thinks she has 2 mothers, the youngest thinks she is second best.
    But lo and behold anyone who criticises one of them - they will then stick together like glue.

Roll on the end of September when one goes off to Uni and the other has no-one to argue with.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • I spent a rather enjoyable father-son afternoon* on Saturday stripping and rebuilding the hubs and freewheel on my eldest's old BMX. Apparently he doesn't want to wreck his shiny new Haro by riding it to school through the winter so he needs a winter hack.

PP

* I should probably point out that my son's contribution amounted to sitting in his bedroom playing on his XBox :(
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't Aspergers mean that kids have abnormally high levels of concentration and often do really well in school?
  • I love School holidays, I havent got kids and love that it takes half the time to get to Work in the Morning.
  • Anonymous
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't Aspergers mean that kids have abnormally high levels of concentration and often do really well in school?

I'm too worn to explain, sorry.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    dmclite wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

I'm too worn to explain, sorry.

Don't worry, I'll find out myself. Looks like summer's starting just in time for the end of the holidays though.
  • johnfinch wrote:

\\\\\\no it doesn't mean that at all. My lad stuggled to cope with everyday things.

The way it was put to Mrs Tank and I was thus. If we all have ten doors in our brain through which information travels freely in an Aspergers person one is shut. This results in information becoming jumbled and confusing to the sufferer. This makes making "head and tails" of ordinary things difficult.

Frankie had to be taught all kinds of everyday things the sort of stuff others just seem to pick up. Social situations were a nightmare for him/us the analogy I use is If I were to get an invite to an official function where certain protocols have to be followed I would feel on edge. To Frankie everyday situations caused massive levels of anxiety. It really CAN be a debilitating condition, obsessive behaviour, rigid thought patterns etc it is a complex condition and one you have to "live with" to fully appreciate.
    We were able to turn our boys obsession with computers to his advantage and at 24years old he holds down a great job, drives 70,000miles a year and lives with his Partner and does plenty of DIY around his home.
    It has been a very tough journey but one well worth making. I wish you well my friend, said it before stick at it you only get out what you put in.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.