Foot pain

StillGoing
StillGoing Posts: 5,211
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
After searching this forum and discovering something as simple as shoes tightened too much at the start of a ride, I wondered how common this was amongst we begginers? Today I can only walk with weight supported on a crutch and the last time I hobbled for over a week afterwards.

If it really is a common error maybe it should be stickied with all the possible remedies?

Of course it should say FOOT PAIN in the title. ANyone got a cure for failing eyesight!
I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.

Comments

• fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    philthy3 wrote:
    After searching this forum and discovering something as simple as shoes tightened too much at the start of a ride, I wondered how common this was amongst we begginers? Today I can only walk with weight supported on a crutch and the last time I hobbled for over a week afterwards.

If it really is a common error maybe it should be stickied with all the possible remedies?

Of course it should say FOOT PAIN in the title. ANyone got a cure for failing eyesight!

its not common- i'd get your shoes/pedals/feet looked at asap - theres something VERY wrong if you are crippling yourself
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • StillGoing
    I think it is the tightness as I don't have the problem regularly. This will be the thrid time out of probably 50 rides with these shoes and cleats.
  • StillGoing
    Thought I'd give an update on this as I'm still suffering with pain in the foot after all this time. Turns out I have overtrained and caused soft tissue damage. That has become inflamed creating the vicious cycle; you ease off until the pain subsides, ride again and aggravate the injury again. Now on a course of anti-inflamatories with instructions to stay off the bike or anything exercise wise until the course is finished. Just when the other half has given me the go ahead to buy an upgrade!
  • sparkman
    sparkman Posts: 74
    If its worth anything I am in the same boat as you.
    Ball of foot is very painfull to walk on so picked up some met protectors online. Eases the pain.
    Doctor said it IS a common problem, especialy amongst cyclists with spd type clipless pedals.
    Its down to either poor cleat positioning, or inadequate support from the type of shoe you use.
    I have spd-sl-s fitted to my roadbike now, but to be honest I have not had a chance to try them because I need to rest the injury up. :cry:
    Never ever had this problem with good old fashion toe clips, so if the spd-sl-s don't come out trumps I will be going back to toe clips. I am cycling for enjoyment and to keep fit, not become a cripple. :roll:
  • Don't you guys think that bike shops should offer a bike fitting free of charge on road bikes in a given price range or subsidised if it's cheaper? I've only been here a while and I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be complaining about foot pains.

I presume most people don't get the fitting because it's quite dear. This is also hindering me from going ahead with it - £150 is quite a lot to some folks.
  • StillGoing
    There are places that do it cheaper. There's a place in Loughborough where they do a complete bike fitting and shoe/cleat fitting for I believe £80. This includes a set of insoles customised to your foot.

On the foot problem; my cleat position is OK as is the seat height. The fore and aft I have to re-check, but that should only affect the knees? My Dr is firmly of the opinion that I've overdone it. He has recommended getting an insert for the shoes but as they're a tight fit this is going to mean new shoes. My current ones are less than 6 months old. I currently use Look Keo cleats but would move to Speedplay next as I can't trackstand and the Keo's are a nightmare to clip into quickly for me. I end up cycling with one leg if I have to start off on a hill..
  • philthy3 wrote:
    There are places that do it cheaper. There's a place in Loughborough where they do a complete bike fitting and shoe/cleat fitting for I believe £80. This includes a set of insoles customised to your foot.

On the foot problem; my cleat position is OK as is the seat height. The fore and aft I have to re-check, but that should only affect the knees? My Dr is firmly of the opinion that I've overdone it. He has recommended getting an insert for the shoes but as they're a tight fit this is going to mean new shoes. My current ones are less than 6 months old. I currently use Look Keo cleats but would move to Speedplay next as I can't trackstand and the Keo's are a nightmare to clip into quickly for me. I end up cycling with one leg if I have to start off on a hill..
    I still find it hard to justify that sort of amount for something that lasts 1-2 hours. Is there something in London that is cheaper or around that price range.
  • I got a pair of Specialized BG Footbed insoles yesterday to go into my Northwave shoes. (LBS has a board to stand on to determine which ones to get depending on your foot type.) The insole in them, as stock, was probably only 2-3mm thick and I found it very uncomfortable and got some pain from them.
    The Footbeds come with instructions on how to fit, and have inserts to go under the insole to help alleviate/correct a bad riding position (in that they will help keep leg bones in the position they're meant to be in.)
    First ride today with them in, a slow 50 miles with a mate, and found my shoes much more comfortable, and no pain at all. Had to loosen the straps a bit as the insoles are thicker, but overall, a highly recommended £20 spent.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • sparkman
    How long is your inflamatory course Phil ? I was told to take Ibubrofen for a week, with a furthe two weeks before riding :cry:
    If there is any sign of discomfort orders are, stop cycling.
    I think I might start on my Ridgeback which is a hybrid, and flat pedals, give the roadbike a long rest until fully recovered.
    Boy I have spent a small fortune on shoes and pedals, just hope I can get them sorted.
  • StillGoing
    I've been given a course of 28 Dyclofenac 3 x day until runs out. DIrections are to lay off while taking the tablets as they'll probably mask any further damage I'm causing while cycling. When I get back in the saddle to take it easy and gradually build back up is all he says. If the condition doesn't go (this morning I'm pain free and itching to get back on the bike, but I'm only on day three of the course!) I'm to go back to him. I'm under a consultant for a an impingement of the shoulder that needs surgery so I was worried it was another generative condition I'd developed. When I wacould do anything; now I'm almost 50 the body is starting to protest me thinks. :lol:
  • sparkman
    Oh well, if the ball of foot pain doesn't get you, the heart attack will mate. :lol:
    Safe recovery.
    By the way I'm 57 and agree with you, but is age going to stop us ?
    No way. :wink:

Diclofenac can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use diclofenac. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/diclofenac.html#ixzz0y51Ds4vp
  • StillGoing
    Not had any of that yet. Thank God. I'm lucky in that I went straight into the Army after school and have never smoked. I also only drink now and again, which equates to less than a pint a month very often. I started cycling as both knees are shot from jumping out of helicopters and running with a heavy bergen up and down hill meaning I can't run without it resulting in yet another arthroscopy.

I turn 49 next Tuesday and need to find cycling buddies around my age and experience. At the moment I go out with my youngest daughter's boyfrined who's moderate HR is my maximum. As a consequence I'm at it full tilt while he's fairly relaxed. Something has to give sooner or later.

Anyhow, the foot is playing up now after a morning on it cutting hedges. The joy of a bank holiday.
  • sparkman
    Unbelievable coincidance here.
    I was out with my son in law when I buggered my foot up. He is a keen roadie, and mountain bike enthusiast, so like you I was trying to keep up with someone a lot fitter and younger than myself. It was a very long climb that did it, I kept up, but paid the price.
    20 years back I was a keen fit younger bloke. Did a charity ride from Bristol to London marble arch, in one very long day, a few aches but nothing more. Trouble is in my head and heart I am the same man. My bodyparts are definately telling me otherwise. Well its out on the hybrid with the wife for now. At least the sedate pace is gonna help me recover. Good luck to you Phil. :wink::)
  • StillGoing
    After several months now my pain has not subsided resulting in a referal to a consultant surgeon who has diagnosed something called cuboid syndrome in the foot. Undoubtedly the cause was riding with the shoes too tight placing pressure on the cuboid and tendons that didn't allow them to expand with the foot. The result will now be either a cortisone injection into the foot, manipulation of the cuboid or surgery to release the pressure on the tendons.

So the moral is don't ride with your shoes too tight!

http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?Co ... 20Syndrome
  • StillGoing
    OK MRI scan completed and the result is......

a ganglian probably caused by having the cycling shoes too tight. It hasn't bothered me for a while so there's little point in surgery as they can come back just as easily and no point in injecting it if it isn't bothering me. Thankfully the wife was with me so I now have the perfect excuse to go and buy some new cycling shoes.

There's always a silver lining.