Max HR too high???

WraithWarrior23
WraithWarrior23 Posts: 35
First of all to explain, my max HR according to my HRM is 198 and while I know these are not the most accurate, Im imagining that it isnt too far wrong. Im 23, 5'10 and 15 stone.

When riding hard on my usual training ride, my HR can get to 202 bpm (usually at the top of very big hills) but I went out the other day and when I got back and looked at the stats for the training ride I was suprised to see that my HR had gotten to 222bpm :S

Should I be worried by this or is this fine???

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    No. You can't exercise beyond your maxHR so there is no risk in an otherwise healthy individual.

You think that HRM can predict maxHR predicatably. Think again. Mine is 198bpm. My Polar insists I'm 186bpm. Big difference.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    It's most likely just an erratic reading from your HRM (caused by static or interference), but if you have any doubts ask your doctor to run an ECG test on you, although I'd have thought you'd have experienced other symptoms if you really had a problem.
  • Thanks guys, I actually had an ECG done a month or 2 ago and an MRI of my heart a few weeks ago so Im guessing if there was something wrong they would have told me.

Thanks again
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Probably just interfierence, according to the HRM I use, for the first 30mins of my ride my HR is around 230, I'd be off like a rocket if that was the case :lol:
  • +1 for interference
    my polar sometimes tells me im at 230bpm+, and sticks to that figure.
    bit annoying!

which HRM is it? im using a polar cad200... is this a polar problem?
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    +1 for interference
    my polar sometimes tells me im at 230bpm+, and sticks to that figure.
    bit annoying!

which HRM is it? im using a polar cad200... is this a polar problem?

It's not a Polar poblem per se. It is in inherent problem with the wireless frequency used which is susceptible to interference.

The higher spec CS600x uses 2.2ghz and that is much less susceptible to interference. In fact I have yet to experience any interference (well at least that was detectable by me).

My experience with the Polar's was always that when the suffered interference that went wildy out of normal range. In any case the Polar software does a very good job of finding and correcting errors automatically if you have it enabled.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It helps with the inflated readings if you use an electrode gel such as lectron. Also, some jersey materials seem to cause inteference more than others.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Lets go back to the start eh ?

Your MHR according to your HRM is 198 ? Then how the hell could you see a 202 on a climb ??

If you are saying that your calculated MHR is 198 - then yes - thats clearly rubbish.
    The only way to find your MHR is to run a MHR test. If you dont bother doing that, then I dont see why anyone uses a HRM.

Your 222 must be a blip. I'm sure you'd have remembered an effort like that !

Your true MHR will probably be 205 - 210, or so but you need to test for this.

Theres no need to worry about a high HR. Everyone is different, but until you know your limits, its like having a Rolex and then just setting it by the sun.