Rear Panniers... Advice please...

Westyorkie
Westyorkie Posts: 45
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Hi there, going to be doing some treking around over the next few weeks, and have a question.... Panniers or Backpack?? Not much stuff to carry (change of clothes etc...) but does a pannier make a difference to ride quality/speed? Also, any advice of which ones to go for?? (Note... with a budget!!)... Thanks guys, all advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Panniers will always slow you down a little but the comfort is way above that of a back pack. It really depends on how irritated you get with stuff on your back. I hate it and always use panniers when carrying stuff. You can carry a lot more as well.

In terms of reviews, I am of the school of thought that you should buy the best you can afford. I have ortlieb panniers and they are superb but are around £80. You can get cheaper but the quality tends to drop with the price.
  • Thanks for that.... I think i'm going to have to use a backpack this time round due to time restraints, but i think i will get quality ones... see how it goes. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Really doesn't make much of a difference, after all your legs are in the path of the air anyway. I still can get upto 20mph on my steel tourer and hold that speed, not much lower than my roadie (say 22/23mph) In fact I hardly use my road bike, thanks to lousy British weather always need to carry waterproofs.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Westyorkie wrote:
    Hi there, going to be doing some treking around over the next few weeks, and have a question.... Panniers or Backpack?? Not much stuff to carry (change of clothes etc...) but does a pannier make a difference to ride quality/speed? Also, any advice of which ones to go for?? (Note... with a budget!!)... Thanks guys, all advice is much appreciated.
    If you don't have that much to carry, you could consider a rackpack (sits on top of your rear rack) rather than panniers. I have one and it is very secure to the rack with 4 velco straps, and holds quite a bit. I don't need two panniers and for me it is preferable to having one pannier.