Any contact lens experts out there?

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
Dear hive mind.... Is there any reason there isn't as wide a choice of daily disposable toric lenses as there are for the monthly equivalents? I'd like to switch from monthlies to dailies but can't find a prescription close enough. I've had a look on lensstore.co.uk and they seem to stock quite a few brands, but no luck.
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• You may be just one of those unlucky ones who's to blind to have dalies.

In other words a blind muthafecker :wink:

Just like me :lol:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • DaveyL
    My sight is a bit poor yes (-2.75 and -3.25) but the problem is that most of the dailies seem to have the "base curve" and "diameter" values fixed (8.6 and 14.2, respectively) whereas my prescription is slightly different - 8.7 and 14.4 - and I haven't found any dailies yet that match them.

My "Cylinder" and "Axis" numbers don't seem to be readily available either.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    I have an astigmatism in one eye and being only an occasional lens wearer, didn't think monthlies were worth it any more, so made the switch. I can't get quite the same strength I have in my glasses, but I can get near enough that I don't really notice the difference. I don't know whether the following is anything you've not come across before:
    http://www.meandmyeyes.co.uk/contact-lens-type/1-day-astigmatism/

Vision Express (and I assume most other high street opticians) offer free contact lense trials, so might be worth seeing what lenses, if any, they can suggest for you and give them a try.
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • DaveyL wrote:
    My sight is a bit poor yes (-2.75 and -3.25) but the problem is that most of the dailies seem to have the "base curve" and "diameter" values fixed (8.6 and 14.2, respectively) whereas my prescription is slightly different - 8.7 and 14.4 - and I haven't found any dailies yet that match them.

I'm a Toric contact lense wearer (monthly), and worked at Bausch&Lomb's factory. I seem to remember that the base curve and diameter values are pretty much irrelevant, so I wouldn't worry about them differing from brand to brand.

Power, Cylinder and axis are the only values you should aim to get close to your prescription, but these can vary slightly in manufacture from one day to the next and so you can get away with a little variation when trying to buy.

Currently, demand for Toric dailies is (relatively) low, so are often manufactured to demand.

I use www.contactlenses.co.uk and find them excellent. If you order some and they're not in stock, they will probably get made especially for you in the factory.
  • DaveyL
    Awesome! Thanks for the info - I will check them out.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Just get laser sight correction, much easier than faffing about with lenses and glasses. I was forever running out or going out and forgetting to take any with me. They managed to correct the astigmatism as well, so no excuses!
  • DaveyL
    Sounds good - are you paying?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Cool all I need to do now is pay roughly £3000-4000 and run the risk of my eyes not even getting 100% vision.

It's a pain in the arse but I'll stick with my glasses
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    when i started with toric contacts the optician had me try umpteen different brands, daily and monthly, even though they were all nominally the same values there were huge differences in practice

the ones that were best for me were ciba's focus dailies toric

so find somewhere you can try all the available options and see which is best, there doesn't seem to be any science to it

i'll go for laser correction the day all the opticians and doctors who wear glasses/contacts do it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I use Discountlens and have found them to be very good for service. I don't have the same need for Toric lenses but they do seem to have a good selection of the ones you want here
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    DaveyL wrote:

http://www.contactlenses.co.uk/

I use these guys.

I switched from Specsavers who's customer service was crap.

The diameter of the specsavers daily contacts is slighty different to the Focus Dailys I'm buying online. Something like 8.7/14.1 as apose to the Focus Dailys being 8.6/13.8. I really don't think that the diameters, when you are talking about that small a difference make any difference. I'd guess that it was a manufacture difference. For the record, the focus Dailys are far more comfortable and 10x easier to get in.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Just get laser sight correction, much easier than faffing about with lenses and glasses. I was forever running out or going out and forgetting to take any with me. They managed to correct the astigmatism as well, so no excuses!

Good idea, until you go for a job that is safety critical and find you can't do it because corrective surgery is banned.