Afan, Skyline to Whites transition.

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited August 2010 in Routes
Me and the lads are off for Skyline at the weekend, but it's a bit short for what we're after so we thought we'd add on the flat/downhill of Whites in at the end.

So on Skyline you go up the really steep hill, about 2/3rds up you do a left then are into the downhills.

Am i correct in thinking that the continuation of the last hill takes us up and round onto the top of Whites ?

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Skyline, is 46KM with a 2000m climb, it climbes all the way up the same first climb as whites then seperates.

But then yes you could theoretically carry on up the last climb and hammer the last 10K of whites, but to be fair at that point you still have 6k of down left of Skyline and its some of the better downhill at Afan
  • weeksy59
    Skyline, is 46KM with a 2000m climb, it climbes all the way up the same first climb as whites then seperates.

But then yes you could theoretically carry on up the last climb and hammer the last 10K of whites, but to be fair at that point you still have 6k of down left of Skyline and its some of the better downhill at Afan

seems to me that the downhill of whites even though maybe not that much longer, is a fair bit more intense cardio?
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    I have just been to Afan and done Skyline, and correct me if I am wrong, I thought the last 6k of singletrack is shared between Skyline and whites no?

Just to let you know also, 2 big singletrack sections are closed at the moment. Handy Andy and I can't remember the name of the other one
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • weeksy59 wrote:

seems to me that the downhill of whites even though maybe not that much longer, is a fair bit more intense cardio?

The Skyline last 6 k are better than whites if you miss this out it would be a real shame, if its cardio you want, do skyline, then do whites.
    You can however start the last downs for Skyline and then drop onto the up again for Whites, the transition is directly after a cool section with a load of rock steps.
    Santa Cruz Nomad.
  • LjStronge wrote:
    I have just been to Afan and done Skyline, and correct me if I am wrong, I thought the last 6k of singletrack is shared between Skyline and whites no?

Just to let you know also, 2 big singletrack sections are closed at the moment. Handy Andy and I can't remember the name of the other one

Skyline comes out by the start of thw up which is shared by whites and skylines.

The whites end is further down the hillside , they are very diffrent.
    Santa Cruz Nomad.
  • weeksy59
    have done skyline 3 times now so we know how it compares. but it's more for training than fun. the lads wont do whites climb twice in one day
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    But the whites climb is the easy bit?? I wouldn't trade the whites decent for the 6k of the Skyline. a few extra k for no extra thrills
  • weeksy59 wrote:
    have done skyline 3 times now so we know how it compares. but it's more for training than fun. the lads wont do whites climb twice in one day

Like i said if thats what you are looking for you can start the last down , on the bend directly after the Rock steps on the last section of skyline you can pick up the top section of the whites climb and the do the 10k that you wanted.
    Santa Cruz Nomad.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 wrote:

Like i said if thats what you are looking for you can start the last down , on the bend directly after the Rock steps on the last section of skyline you can pick up the top section of the whites climb and the do the 10k that you wanted.

We got as far as the rock steps.. i was leading, no worries... heard a clunk, clank and a bonk... behind me, my mate fucked up the steps and now has a broken hand, we had to walk down from the steps.... oops.