All purpose jacket

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
Lost my light, summer, fold into it's own pouch, waterproof jacket t'other day.

My winter jacket is past it's best.

So looking to replace with a lightweight jacket which i will use in winter too with appropriate layers.

Criteria:

Lightweight enough for cooler/windier summer days/rain, but waterproof, not just showerproof, to use as top layer in proper winter rain.
I'm a sweaty bugg3r, so good breathabilty.
Must have some useful pockets of some description (location not critical, but decent size.)
Smallish pack size - doesn't need to be tiny (like Montane,) as will be on rack/in pannier, not in shirt pocket. (i did like the Montane H2O, but no pockets!)
Reflective piping etc
...and the kicker......sub £100, and I'm struggling to get that together......

Don't want mesh lining - adds to bulk
Colour not too big a deal.
Doesn't need to be super light weight, as rain on hot days doesn't bother me - lycra etc. soon dries on its own. More something to wear on cooler, wetter summer days.

Short list so far:
Altura Crosslite
Endura convert 2 (like the gilet conversion)

Any personal experiences or other reccos? cheers all!

Comments

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Montane Atomic D2 would probably fit most of your requirements.

Probably the best hood I've ever used on a jacket too.

I'll use it for everything outdoors (cycling, work, trips to shops, scrambling in summer / winter)!

I love it! :)

If you can afford a bit more the Rab Demand is very good, but probably around £115 quid.

Both have an active cut so will suit lots of outdoor activities.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I got the DHB Wickham eVENT http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_W ... 360037016/ in a sale (1/3 off) and cannot fault it.

I actually managed to get it for free thanks to a Wiggle cock up, so really did well out of that purchase :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    There's no such thing as a waterproof jacket with good breathability.
  • PBo
    biondino wrote:

absolutely take your point.......but was using the word in the manufacturers description sense, not literally. i.e. i don't want one which is only showerproof, i want decent rain protection with as good breathability as i can get - i understand the nature of the compromise.

....otherwise, i'd make my own out of a heavy duty rubble sack or two... :)
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I have a convert2. It is most certainly not breathable, also has rubbery texture on the inside that feels horrible against your skin if you are wearing a short sleeve jersey.

It is quite waterproof and the convert to gilet feature is nice. I actually prefer it as a gilet and the breathability is less of an issue.
    It is quite a loose fitting jacket so looks a bit silly with lycra.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • biondino wrote:

Working for a foul weather clothing manufacturer I would have to disagree. Some of the modern TP2 and Gore fabrics are both 100% waterproof and breathable. You also need to ensure you are wearing a correct base layer as if you have a breathable top it's going to be hampered if your wearing a cotton t-shirt underneath. Also some water ingress through zips and seams can be avoided with taped seams.

It's another area where often you get what you pay for. :lol:
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • PBo
    biondino wrote:

Working for a foul weather clothing manufacturer I would have to disagree. Some of the modern TP2 and Gore fabrics are both 100% waterproof and breathable. You also need to ensure you are wearing a correct base layer as if you have a breathable top it's going to be hampered if your wearing a cotton t-shirt underneath. Also some water ingress through zips and seams can be avoided with taped seams.

It's another area where often you get what you pay for. :lol:

Any insider insights as to which fabrics or brands are good compromises at the budget end?

cheers

Pete
  • Any insider insights as to which fabrics or brands are good compromises at the budget end?

I've just asked our Technical design manager where he would look for a 'budget' 100% waterproof and breathable jacket and what fabrics he would be expecting.

He's going to get back to me but he did say £100 is the magic price point where he would expect a highly technical fabric. Obviously not everyone will consider this to be 'budget'.

The gadget show last night praised the Gelert Westcott jacket at £50-60. I've not heard of these before and have no experience of them. However, the Gore-Tex jacket they had on show wasn't really designed to be 100% waterproof as it's a soft-shell paclite fabric that is meant to be light, comfortable and easily packable. Gore-Tex do a myriad of fabrics of which some are definitely 100% waterproof. The part of the jacket that failed wasn't actually the fabric but the zip / seam.

The other jacket on show was actually designed for alpine mountaineering hence the £350 price point and 5*!!!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Yep, I watched the programme and was very interested in the last jacket until I saw the price tag! I think it was called Mammut Cho Oyo or summat. In black.

Extreme_Cho_Qyu_Jack_orange_ink_bild1.eps_Zoom.jpg
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a Gore Path jacket. Bit over budget, I think I paid £120 but worth it when I've needed it. Wore it the other day and wasn't too hot. Plenty warm enough in winter with a base layer underneath.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I wore the event jacket this morning as it was showing single figures on the outside temp gauge again :cry: and was threatening rain

Of course the sun came out and I got to work drenched in sweat, so it isn't entirely breathable - but I have to say not bad

I did have to sit outside and gently steam for 5 mins before I could go in though. (I kid you not, sat on the bench outside with steam rising from my back. :shock: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    I wore the event jacket this morning as it was showing single figures on the outside temp gauge again
    why wear a jacket ? put on a lightweight base layer if you think you'll be cold.
    and was threatening rain
    Of course the sun came out and I got to work drenched in sweat,
    Carry a rolled up windproof/showerproof summer jacket if it looks like rain.