MTB Insurance

whistleblower
whistleblower Posts: 68
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
I would like to insure my MTB for peace of mind. Does anyone recommend anyone in particular?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    There is a problem with MTB insurance, which is in order for it to be valid, you basically need it to be virtually unstealable.

My advice? Instead of buying insurance, buy better locks.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Check your home insurance, it might already be covered. If not add it to that, it'll probably be cheaper and there might be less restrictions on what type of lock is used. Then spend the money you saved on better locks.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Check house insurance and buy locks accordingly in my opinion. At the end of the day a determined thief is going to get your bike no matter what. You can make it harder for less determined thieves to a varying extent depending on how much weight of chains/locks you are willing to lug about.

My philosophy is to leave my bike unattended as little as possible and to carry a relatively light cable lock to satisfy my insurance for the times I do have to leave it.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    check out M&S home contents insurance. They're brilliant. Single item limit up to £4000 without having to notify them, and no strange policies on securing and locking up a bike. You can also add their away fom home cover, which means your bike is covered anywhere in the world, eve when using it (meaning my boyfriend managed to get a new set of road wheels when a car knocked him off on a roundabout and didn't stop, so couldn't claim on their insurance)
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    I've noticed a number of people who ride bikes have M&S insurance - this must be why. My renewal is up in December. I'll check them out.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • mega bug
    mega bug Posts: 47
    i am the same as the foke above the only diff is i am insured with the bank of scotland home insurance and theres no real problems as long as the bike was secure b4 its stolen no major type of lock requierd for insurance purpose

thankfully i havent had to make any claims tho so all seems good banks getting my cash for nothing as usal. :(