Help with new phone choice please???

Dazza2280
Dazza2280 Posts: 156
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
next tuesday is mu upgrade day, and i've narrowed it down to 2 choices, either a Blackberry Curve 8520 or a Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro???

Think the only reason i want the sony is cos its got the Android operating system, and i'll end up playing with the apps a fair bit, but the blackberry just looks a whole bunch better.

Between them what would any of you choose???

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Always liked Sony Ericsson. Android is a big plus.

Hate Blackberrys spent half my life putting them right.
  • I like my Sony Ericsson Satio.
    My other half has a Blackberry. She seems to suffer from connection issues wherever she is!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    and one "pro" blackberry - had them for about 5 years now and for what I use them for - bit of phone, bit of text, lots of email, bit of net stuff, few photos - they're great.
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    I got an HTC desire because of Android and it is a briliant phone, google some reviews.

I know it's not one of your choices but I though I'd mention it as it runs the latest version of Android (2.1 I think) whereas the SE runs 1.5.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... day-645440

Bike radar's sister.

Rates the HTC Desire #1.

Heathy - HTC Desire's now running on 2.2.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Another vote for Android. It's far more flexible than a Blackberry.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Nokia E72
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    The answer to your question depends upon what your needs are for the phone
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Wouldn't recommend the Blackberry if you intend to use the 'net a lot. I have one (Curve 8520) for work, and for 'net use it's not a patch on my iPhone (3Gs) or any of the Android phones (that I've seen).

It's solid for call quality, syncing to email and battery life, but I wouldn't spend my own cash on one. Bold or the the other higher models may be much better though.

Should avoid iPhone lover/hater discussion, but I'm pleased with mine (after 9 months use). HTC Desire and the like are possibly better still, where Blackberrys (despite their marketing campaigns) still seem too business-tool focussed to use outside work.
  • ebt
    ebt Posts: 59
    The X10 mini cant be upgraded to android 2. Its stuck on an old version of Android 1.6, which is unlikely to get much further support from an apps developer.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    you do realise youve all spelt iPhone wrong?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Wouldn't be without my blackberry bold, earlier in the year when I was trying to sort out moving house and starting my new job having such good push email was a lifesaver because we had no internet in the house. As a phone, it works well and for e-mail and texting quickly it can't be beat!

However, if you want a phone that looks good, and is great at browsing the internet, I would look elswhere...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • or you could get the X8, when it comes out...

sony-ericsson-x8.jpg

Bit bigger than the X10 Mini, but not as big as the X10. Reckon the touch screen on the Mini could be a bit tricky to use.
  • Was very happy with Sony Ericsson & I thought long & hard about changing, am glad I did as the Desire is the mutts. My brother decided against changing & got a satio. It's not in the same league.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    ebt wrote:
    The X10 mini cant be upgraded to android 2. Its stuck on an old version of Android 1.6, which is unlikely to get much further support from an apps developer.

Sony announced in May that the entire Xperia X10 range (including the mini) will be upgraded to Android 2.1 in the 4th quarter of this year so if you get one now you'll get the upgrade automatically when they roll it out.

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2010/05/05/sony-ericsson-xperia%E2%84%A2-x10-to-get-uxp-upgrade-in-q4-2010/
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    you do realise youve all spelt iPhone wrong?

I have an eyefone
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Get an HTC Desire

End of.

-Spider-
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    I might be in the market for an android phone .... seen some healthy reviews on the HTC Wildfire ..... and I here that it may be coming down in price ! - yes value is what I'm aiming at.

any comment welcomed .... but please keep it simple ... I ain't one for all that jargon .
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Wouldn't recommend the Blackberry if you intend to use the 'net a lot. I have one (Curve 8520) for work, and for 'net use it's not a patch on my iPhone (3Gs) or any of the Android phones (that I've seen).

It's solid for call quality, syncing to email and battery life, but I wouldn't spend my own cash on one. Bold or the the other higher models may be much better though.

Should avoid iPhone lover/hater discussion, but I'm pleased with mine (after 9 months use). HTC Desire and the like are possibly better still, where Blackberrys (despite their marketing campaigns) still seem too business-tool focussed to use outside work.

Completely agree - I also have the curve 8520 as a business phone and the iPhone as my perconal phone.

The Blackberry is a great business phone - but I wouldn't want it for music, net, social network apps etc - it's very business-like!
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Value or cheap?

For value get a HTC Desire.

-Spider-
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    +1 for the HTC Desire and have a iPhone 3g too but the desire gets used all the time.

you know you want too :wink:
  • I think Bono got it right on Rattle and Hum years ago..Desire. Same as ther iphone 4 at half the price. Learn how to manage the battery though otherwise it might end in premature divorce.