You didn't cycle in today in this weather did you?

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Times I've had that said to me this morning - twice.

One was my boss, I replied "!I have to have some motivation for getting up and coming to this place!" :lol:

Morning all!

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    It wasn't the most pleasant ride especially that the wind made the rain fall horiontally sometimes, but it wasn't really bad. I guess some people are just super comfortable and get out of buildings and cars only when the conditions are perfect.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    my office thought i was crazy riding on wednesday, 2 days later and i think they're making preparations to have me committed :shock:

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ummm.... we have blazing sunshine and no wind here.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Well, was swirling fag here this morning when I set of, just like some sort of set for Old London Town, but as I got nearer the beating heart of Glasgow, it slowly started to lift, till we had a lovely blue sky, cracking sunshine and a real good, Friday, Bank Holiday feeling.... Plus edging ever closer to that magical 1,000 for August.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    No. Better things to do when it's that wet.
  • Little bit soggy, wasn't it? Nobody's surprised here any more, they already all think I'm nuts.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    The weather is ok in Devon, no rain, moderate wind

Although I did wear my fleecey 3/4 lengths today for the first time since summer
    Autumn starts here
  • Got soggy wedsnesday and thursday - working from home today .....and relax
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Was it wet this AM? dunno just woke up :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Bit breezy and chilly where I am this morn, but sunny :) Not sure about later though; conflicting weather reports... I'm being optimistic!
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its been minging all week. Actually felt like I needed full finger gloves when I first set off. I then got a flat half way up Crstal Palace Park Road (thankfully I had a spare to hand). Legs have felt dead all month. I'm in danger of not enjoying the commute! :shock: :cry:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Popped my shoes on the towel rail last night thinking I'd have dry, toasty feet this am, only to discover that the missus turned the damn thing off before heading to bed. So I had wet feet before I even got out the door. Man that was one wet ride in. Thankfully I have a full change of cycling kit (including shoes) sitting on my desk.

Didn't see many other cyclists on the way in...
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    It wasn't the rain this morning, it was the cold. I had my winter hi-viz jacket on (its waterproof) and was very grateful for it by the time I got to the end of the road. Unfortunately I was wearing my fingerless gloves and so had to put up with freezing fingers for the first 10 mins. The masochistic part of me enjoyed it after they warmed up, although the sooner I can change to disk brakes for these conditions the better
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Bit chilly but beautiful blue sky and sun in Coventry today. Was a relief after 3 commutes on the trot in the wet. I think my cycling shoes finally dried out on the ride in this morning.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    MatHammond wrote:
    Legs have felt dead all month. I'm in danger of not enjoying the commute! :shock: :cry:

Try Public Transport for a week - you'll love it again :D

Yes it's wet, but it's more logistical issues than anything else. As long as you've got more than one set of clothes, stuff newspaper into shoes and an airing cupboard to dry stuff out, you're fine.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    put a waterproof on this morning, only to take it off after 4 miles, as I was getting wetter from the inside than the rain coming down.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    So I had wet feet before I even got out the door.

Sealskinz socks = win!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    iPete wrote:
    So I had wet feet before I even got out the door.

Sealskinz socks = win!

I think mine are fubar'd as my feet got soaked this morning

I do have a dry set of normal socks though ready for the way home, looks like it will be dry tonight.

I just have to hope my shoes have dried, it took till last night to dry them out after the storm we had here on wednesday night
  • Ooooh I think it might have cleared up by this evening....
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I think everyone here has already twigged that I'll cycle in all conditions - I got it a lot at the start of last winter, then it died down.
  • I microwaved my gloves dry this morning. It worked!

Was going to put the shoes in then realised the cleats might explode.

And this is August!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Well my shoes are dry, my baggies and lycra shorts are hanging up and airing so fingers crossed they should be dry.

I think I will get some mud guards
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Paul E wrote:
    Well my shoes are dry, my baggies and lycra shorts are hanging up and airing so fingers crossed they should be dry.

I think I will get some mud guards

My clothes are hanging off the back of the big TV in the office
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    my socks, gloves and inner soles are drying on my computer

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Well, was swirling fag here this morning when I set of, just like some sort of set for Old London Town, but as I got nearer the beating heart of Glasgow, it slowly started to lift, till we had a lovely blue sky, cracking sunshine and a real good, Friday, Bank Holiday feeling.... Plus edging ever closer to that magical 1,000 for August.....
    That's a mis-type :shock: I wondered what you were on about until I realised you meant fog.

The fog seemed to life really quickly here this morning. It was foggy when I got up and looked out the window but had lifted after only about 15 minutes later.
    nickbagot wrote:
    And this is August!
    I was thinking that this morning as well. We have sunny intervals but when a cloud blocks the sun it is pretty chilly outside.
  • Times I've had that said to me this morning - twice.

One was my boss, I replied "!I have to have some motivation for getting up and coming to this place!" :lol:

Morning all!

I get that a lot, too, but today I had to say "no, I didn't". My excuse? My panniers ceased to be rainproof and I didn't want a second day in a row with wet/damp clothes.

My brand new Ortliebs have arrived today!!! :)
  • I get that a lot, too, but today I had to say "no, I didn't". My excuse? My panniers ceased to be rainproof and I didn't want a second day in a row with wet/damp clothes.

My brand new Ortliebs have arrived today!!! :)
    What panniers stopped being waterproof?