bar tape

prower
prower Posts: 14
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
I have just been on to wiggle as need some new tape for my new bike already. The tape is white and it is already looking very grubby. There is a vast and bewildering range of tapes available. Any reccommendations would be greatly appreciated. The bike is a trek 1.2 if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Can't go wrong with Bontrager gel tape. Very comfy (especially the double gel which only comes in black), and hard wearing too!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fizik Microtex is my tape of choice. I use white and it wipes clean very easily...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can't go wrong with Bontrager gel tape. Very comfy (especially the double gel which only comes in black), and hard wearing too!

Another one for the Bonty tape. I've put it on top of the gel trips on my tricross but don't try and take the backing of the adhesive like I did as it isn't adhesive which will make life easier if I change the brake levers.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • taz3611
    taz3611 Posts: 172
    I've used white bar tape for a while now. Tried allsorts to clean it with. Best so far is the oxygen powder stuff, similar I believe to Vanish stain removing powder. I use Asda own brand. Mixed with a little hot water, gets Spesh tape clean very easily. I use this tape as it's comfy and feels grippy even when wet.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Fizik Microtex is the best tape available IMO. And its not even expensive. Looks a lot better than cork tape.
    More problems but still living....
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Tape that isn't slippy when wet is pretty important
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • s1lko
    s1lko Posts: 39
    Try using degreaser on the tape. Brings it up spotless
  • prower
    prower Posts: 14
    many thanks for all the helpful replies.
  • sam_m
    sam_m Posts: 61
    I've got the Fizik microtex too, but might go for the double next time. Either that or some gel tape (though the microtex is fine with decent gloves).
  • +1 for bontrager gel tape
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    I used to run that Bontrager Gel, but purchased this stuff from Evans and boy is it thick and comfy!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... bar%20tape
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Fizik Microtex is my tape of choice. I use white and it wipes clean very easily...

Yep +1

I have now done nearly 3000 miles with White Fizik Tape and it still looks like new, I have the metallic blue on my trainer that is out in all weathers and that looks similar.

Fizik Tape really is durable, I'm not sure but it appears to be made from the same material as their saddles.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Fizik or Pro Adhesive Microfibre here.
  • I have the Fizik but in Pink! Looks good, great to put on and doesn't seem to rip as some cork tape does if it gets caught.

To keep white tape clean I always found Vanish spray was good!
  • Another vote for Fizik Microtex. Stays white for ages and cleans up really well if you should ever need to clean it.javascript:emoticon(':D')