SRAM X5 gearing problems

feelinjustfine
feelinjustfine Posts: 5
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I recently bought a specialized pitch comp running a SRAM X5 derailleur with X7 shifters, since i bought the bike i have been having problems in shifting gears when i get up to 7,8 and 9. when i press the shifter nothing happens at all unless i give the bike a hop or give the derailleur a helping kick. downshifting is no problem at all. at first i thought it might be cable tension but i have adjusted this at the levers and it hasnt helped. does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? make it easy for me please im new to all this!!
Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dirty, sticky, or kinked cables, by the sounds of it
  • the cable doesnt seem to be kinked anywhere. if it is dirty how would i go about cleanign this? it seems to be fully enclosed right up to where it joins the drailleur.
  • Anonymous
    I can't see what else it could possibly be. the shifting to a smaller cog is done by spring tension. The only way that could get messed up is a broken mech spring (so rare as to be improbable) or some cabling issues.
    Try taking the cable off, and seeing if the inner passes through the outer smoothly.

Might be worth replacing it, since it's such a cheap fix. Pop into your local bike shop, and ask for just a length of inner and outer (no need to go flash with the XT cables etc).
  • cool, thanks, i will give that a try. im a bit peeved though as the bike is only a month old. i might go back to the shop and see if they will have a look at it as i wasnt expecting to be replacing cables this early!
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, if it's that new, get the shop to check it out.
    Maybe you've had a rockstrike or something that's squashed the cable.
  • the cabling runs right down the underside of the down tube under the bottom bracket so it might well have been something like that. thanks very much for your help!
  • Anonymous
    I wouldn't thank me just yet, I still might be wrong :lol: