Non-slip grease

ftwizard
ftwizard Posts: 253
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Would there be any advantage in using the Non-slip grease used for carbon parts, on an aluminium seat post in an aluminium frame.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Personally, I grease every seatpost, of any kind, that goes into any kind of frame I'm using. Not sure what "non slip grease" is. :wink::wink:
    In any case don't overthink it. Grease the post with ordinary slippery type gease and tighten the clamp.
    Re-grease every couple of months or so, especially with carbon posts(in anything).
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Non slip grease- glue. :lol:
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I used Finish Line fibre grip (same as Pace) to stop an aluminium seatpost slipping in an aluminium frame. It meant I could close the QR lever without grunting and leaving an impression of the lever in my palm that lasted for half an hour.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you are moving your seat frequently enough, there's no need for anti-seize grease, and I really can't see any need for anti-slip stuff if the QR is tight enough (and by tight, yes it should leave an imprint, and that goes especially for the wheel QRs too!).

Greasing the post as a lube for movement just seems wrong. You don't want to make it easier to slip!

If you want to grease anything, copperslip on the QR bush to prevent seizing, but allowing you to do it up tight.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    deadkenny wrote:
    Greasing the post as a lube for movement just seems wrong. You don't want to make it easier to slip!
    Every few months, I remove my seatpost, clean it and the seat tube, then grease the post and wipe it off with a rag so there's a very thin layer of grease on it. Not so much that it slips, but enough that it doesn't seize inside the frame, as they are known to do, particularly over the winter months. Same thing with my maxle on my pikes, it stuck inside the hub once because i didn't realise that it should have been greased ever so slightly. Was a bugger to get out.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My post is up and down every ride, and I ride through winter, so no chance of it seizing :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    carbon assembly paste is great stuff. Had carbon bars that used to move even when done up a bit past torque, assembly paste meant they didn't move even when only done up finger tight!

I use it if i have issues with things moving when done to the correct torque. Initially i grease seatposts. If they move when done up appropriately tight, then i clean them off and use paste.