Thinking of treating myself

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
It's my birthday next week and I've had a busy couple of weeks working to a ridiculous deadline (which I will hopefully soon be getting paid for) so I'm thinking of treating myself to a Garmin Edge 500.

I really shouldn't though as my car insurance has just been renewed. I don't suppose anyone is going to try and talk me out of it.

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Don't do it!!

I do prefer maps myself. Never been lured to the dark arts of GPS, or iPhone yet......

Just a simple bike computer, a map and a good pair of eyes.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    No. Dooooo eeeeeeet!

Unless you want mapping then yes. :P
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Anyone see 'The Great Outdoors' on BBC4? A very funny scene with a walker walking along through stunning countryside, eyes down on her GPS, with a bossy female voice instructing, "In 200 yards turn left".
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Maybe it's me, but I don't especially see the point of the 500.

GPS data seems a bit odd for speed/cadence/HR/altitude.

It is a very pretty piece of kit, but I don't get it over say, a Polar S710.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd save up for a 705, as for the car insurance, I'd sell the car :wink:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    UK Road Atlases are available from Poundland
  • suzyb
    I thought I'd get nothing but encouragement here lol

The main reason I was thinking of getting a Garmin was to follow mapped out routes on the MTB. I'm too unfit to end up taking massive detours because I'm lost but I can't afford a 705 (and probably wont ever be able to).

Plus I believe you can make training plans and download them to the 500 which may help me actually "train" and not just pedal along however I feel like (which is better than nothing but not really helping get me any fitter).

I guess I shall just save my money instead then.
  • jonginge
    Ignore the luddites :P

I like mine. You can download courses and get directions. It's just not got the map view.
    More starters info here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16043272
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wallace1492
    Depends on what motivates you.
    Getting fitter is hard. It is not always fun, it hurts, it takes ages, and it still hurts.

I have found this year lots of small goals, that progress have helped immensely.
    First it was to do 400 miles in a month, then 500. This month it is 1,000 and I never thought I would get near it! Timewise have battled down time for commute in, measuring it at least once a week. Record now at 24.30, started at 32.20 last year.

Last year I did cyle tourning and did 40 odd miles a day, staying in B&B's that hurt. This year I have built up to 90+ with full panniers and camping gear, still hurts, but not as much.

On the MTB runs I am all over the shop, front, back, checking on people, encouraging newbies as well as showing others where to go. Bloody knackering!

I have lost nearly 2st since February, feel so much stronger and fitter, and just love my riding.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If the 705 is too pricey, what about the Dakota 20? £189 at Handtec, plus £11 for a bar mount. Free UK mapping from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Being able to actually read a map (and annoyingly being sent on a map reading course for my Marine Cadet modules :x ) I stick with a good old piece of paper and a sense of adventure rather than a electronic item with no soul.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    NGale wrote:
    Being able to actually read a map (and annoyingly being sent on a map reading course for my Marine Cadet modules :x ) I stick with a good old piece of paper and a sense of adventure rather than a electronic item with no soul.

I should hope you're not using anything carbon or rubber tyres on your bike. Work of the devil I tell you, not like the wooden bikes with stone wheels that have got soul.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    I'd say do it :) Or at least, treat yourself (no idea if the Garmin is any good or not).

I just got my yearly pay spine increase, so had an extra £40 on my pay slip this week. Already gone on some Planet X track hubs which were half price in their sale :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • suzyb
    The buzz I get once I'm off the bike (buzz is the only word I can think of to describe it). I assume it's some hormone that is released when exercising that makes you feel good afterwards. tbh if it wasn't for that I would probably have given up MTBing as I'm always half a mile behind everyone (and feeling guilty for holding up the LMTBC equivalent of you).

I know it takes time to build fitness but it is darn frustrating.

Maybe I could try treating myself to liposuction instead. Bound to make going uphill a bit easier :lol:
  • suzyb wrote:
    It's my birthday next week and I've had a busy couple of weeks working to a ridiculous deadline (which I will hopefully soon be getting paid for) so I'm thinking of treating myself to a Garmin Edge 500.

I really shouldn't though as my car insurance has just been renewed. I don't suppose anyone is going to try and talk me out of it.

Happy birthday for next week! :)
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:
    The buzz I get once I'm off the bike (buzz is the only word I can think of to describe it). I assume it's some hormone that is released when exercising that makes you feel good afterwards. tbh if it wasn't for that I would probably have given up MTBing as I'm always half a mile behind everyone (and feeling guilty for holding up the LMTBC equivalent of you).

I know it takes time to build fitness but it is darn frustrating.

I do know how frustrating it is. I do get the buzz while on the bike...... and a real good feel good after. Nowt wrong with being behind, we have some folk that are slow, but am so happy they keep coming back as I love encouraging them. I try and make sure they don't feel guilty and it has been great to see their progress. OK, they are still a bit slower, but getting faster and more proficient on the trails.

Stick with it, maybe pop out north sometime and see what we are all about.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Happy birthday for next week SuzyB. Buy whatever you want. I'm not qualified to suggest anything in the Garmin world as I'm still using my Garmin Forerunner 101 :lol:

As for fitness. It remains hard no matter how fit you get, but the buzz makes it so worthwhile............................ and the 'relaxed' approach to what goes into your mouth (ie chips, fryups etc - energy giving) but I didn't tell you that 8)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    NGale wrote:

LOL at the thought of a piece of paper (or, indeed, anything, but that's a different discussion) having "soul".
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think the 500 is the one to get IMHO. No maps, (so any comments about pieces of paper are entirely irrelevant here! - I'm talking to you NGale :lol: ) but you can programme 'crumb trails' to follow.

The other Garmins are bulky in comparison and I can't see the maps are that important most of the time (unless maybe continental touring) so their absence wouldn't bother me.

I will be getting a 500 but I can't find a good deal on the neutral coloured ones anywhere. Driving me mad!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

Last year I did cyle tourning and did 40 odd miles a day, staying in B&B's that hurt. This year I have built up to 90+ with full panniers and camping gear, still hurts, but not as much.

Did they have dungeons? or just lumpy beds?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Edge 800 could be the one to wait for...
  • Wallace1492
    PBo wrote:

Did they have dungeons? or just lumpy beds?

Rooms with a view:

cm019-torture-bed-phnom-phen.jpg
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    What about the Garmin 800?
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558

looks lovely

will they be bringing out an updated version of 500 as im looking to purchase shortly
  • suzyb
    andy83 wrote:

looks lovely
    And expensive.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    suzyb wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

looks lovely
    And expensive.

yea true, i cant justify paying for the 705 or 800 just to have to pay loads more for the maps when i actually like getting lost, hence swaying to towards the 500
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    705, so many features and options it'll take you weeks to work them out. One of the best times of my life.
  • jonginge
    andy83 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

looks lovely
    And expensive.

yea true, i cant justify paying for the 705 or 800 just to have to pay loads more for the maps when i actually like getting lost, hence swaying to towards the 500
    I wonder if there'll be a bouyant second-hand market for 705s when people upgrade to the 800 when it comes out...

Edit: review of the 800 now on the front page of the site: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/g ... view-27494
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    suzyb wrote:
    andy83 wrote:

looks lovely
    And expensive.

Drool...

23683.jpg