OT: On site contract

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
A month ago my ex-boss contacted me with some freelance work. I just finished an initial project and will now be meeting with him on Monday to discuss working on site for a month (initially) to work on a number of other small projects.

And now I'm a little confused.

Working at home whenever you like, sending out invoices and receiving payment is obviously self-employment. But am I still self-employed when I am working on site since I will probably still be paid in the same way but not in control of what/when and where I work.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    Check out the Directgov website for full details, but I'm assuming this is just a short term contract, and you can also take on other work (time permitting). If he wants you to work for him on a permanent and exclusive basis at his office, then I think you'd have to be back on PAYE.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    There is a time limit for which you can work freelance for the same employer on his site. After that time they have to employ you. Not everybody follows these rules though.
    It's a convenient way for an employer to save money as they don't have to pay:
    2 class NIC, tax, holiday pay, sick pay and so on, yet still have a full time employee.
  • Not sure whether the HMRC can actually force an employer to put a freelancer onto their PAYE. I suspect not. Contractors often work for years for the same employer. Check your tax return papers. Do you actually have to state where you work as a freelance? My partner gives her home address on the return; IIRC the address where she does that work does not have to be declared. I suspect the HMRC are indifferent.
    Failing that, consult your accountant?
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • I found myself in a similar situation last year, and the IR told me that if I was self-employed but working for only one employer who defined my working hours, then said employer had to put me on PAYE immediately.

I got round it by invoicing 2 of said employers companies in alternate months. We'll see if it worked around April time.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I found myself in a similar situation last year, and the IR told me that if I was self-employed but working for only one employer who defined my working hours, then said employer had to put me on PAYE immediately.

I got round it by invoicing 2 of said employers companies in alternate months. We'll see if it worked around April time.
    Even if your only going to be working there for a month or two :?
  • suzyb wrote:
    I found myself in a similar situation last year, and the IR told me that if I was self-employed but working for only one employer who defined my working hours, then said employer had to put me on PAYE immediately.

Even if your only going to be working there for a month or two :?

That's what I was told. In reality, I doubt many people would do it for such a short term.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    look up information relating to IR-35, there will you see the definition of being self employed.

Amongst which are things like;-

- did you provide a quotation for the work?
    - are you at financial risk if things don't go according to plan i.e. overuns?
    - are you providing your own insurance / liability?

etc etc. on the note of insurance, if you're not technically an employee but are working in a freelance capacity on site then you may not be covered by any of the employers insurance
  • suzyb wrote:
    A month ago my ex-boss contacted me with some freelance work. I just finished an initial project and will now be meeting with him on Monday to discuss working on site for a month (initially) to work on a number of other small projects.

And now I'm a little confused.

Working at home whenever you like, sending out invoices and receiving payment is obviously self-employment. But am I still self-employed when I am working on site since I will probably still be paid in the same way but not in control of what/when and where I work.

The complication of IR35!

It depends what you are doing and for how long. It also depends on the terminology you use.

For a month, I do not think it counts. If it goes longer than that, it can get difficult. A decent accountant can advise best. It can be influenced by having a permenant desk and using the client IT equipment.

It also depends on if you are getting paid hourly/daily or if you have a set price for a piece(s) of work. Are you working on other contracts/work at the same time?

A positive is that you can claim expenses (travel, food, etc). I think you can claim 20p/mile cycling :)

It always needs to be a referenced as a client site, etc.