Bloody pannier racks!

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
After some swearing and cursing I have finally managed to be able to fit my new pannier rack.

However the instructions were honestly rubbish and so much for the rack sitting horizontaly (although I have done the best possible)

Why is it something that should be so simple turns into something so complicated!
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    NGale wrote:
    After some swearing and cursing I have finally managed to be able to fit my new pannier rack.

However the instructions were honestly rubbish and so much for the rack sitting horizontaly (although I have done the best possible)

Why is it something that should be so simple turns into something so complicated!

Yup not as straight forward as it looks, also my Ribble winter has the top mounting screws directly behind the brake mount, so once fitted the rear brake doesn't work as well.

Genius
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iainmoss
    iainmoss Posts: 88
    It sounds to me as though you've chosen the wrong rack!
    Obviously some racks are more adaptable than others. I personally use a TorTec 'Ultralight' @ <£20. Its fitted numerous bikes without any hassle. Splendid.
  • NGale
    iainmoss wrote:
    It sounds to me as though you've chosen the wrong rack!
    Obviously some racks are more adaptable than others. I personally use a TorTec 'Ultralight' @ <£20. Its fitted numerous bikes without any hassle. Splendid.

That's the rack I have.

I have fitted numerous racks to varying bikes over the years, none have fitted properly.

The only conclusion I can come to is every rack I have fitted has been to a womens frame bike and the boss lugs are lower down on the frame therefore accounting for the tilt on the rack.
  • iainmoss
    iainmoss Posts: 88
    That's the rack I have.
    Oh. I see now that I have been no help at all. I suggest keeping the rack and getting a new bike. :wink:
  • NGale
    iainmoss wrote:
    That's the rack I have.
    Oh. I see now that I have been no help at all. I suggest keeping the rack and getting a new bike. :wink:

I did actually think about that but then realised quickly I have no money :lol:

However with my new job being easier to cycle to I should think the money saved in petrol may come in handy :wink::lol:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    itboffin wrote:
    my Ribble winter has the top mounting screws directly behind the brake mount, so once fitted the rear brake doesn't work as well.

I have a similar problem. The rack stays foul the left side of my V-brakes. I think it's made worse by the TravelAgent that's fitted. I might swap the brakes out for some cantilevers; or at least something that's centre-pull.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Agent57 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    my Ribble winter has the top mounting screws directly behind the brake mount, so once fitted the rear brake doesn't work as well.

I have a similar problem. The rack stays foul the left side of my V-brakes. I think it's made worse by the TravelAgent that's fitted. I might swap the brakes out for some cantilevers; or at least something that's centre-pull.
    Or why not use some Tubus Clamps? Then the upper mount can be moved to where you want. Also moves the rack back by an inch so may make it more horizontal. They are very robust, much better than ordinary p-clips.
    tubus2.jpg
  • You can get a seatpost clamp/rack mount combo that may well sort this whole problem once and for all...
  • NGale
    You can get a seatpost clamp/rack mount combo that may well sort this whole problem once and for all...

I did try that option first, but found my tunk bag (even empty) weighed down the rack and rested on the wheel. :(
  • NGale wrote:
    You can get a seatpost clamp/rack mount combo that may well sort this whole problem once and for all...

I did try that option first, but found my tunk bag (even empty) weighed down the rack and rested on the wheel. :(

WTF? :shock:

Is this a beam rack or something?
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:

Yeah a beam rack. I see what you mean now, a kind of extension piece from the main rack which then clamps to the seat post rather than extension bars onto the frame?

the new rack is a regular one so far more stable
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    alfablue wrote:
    why not use some Tubus Clamps?

I'll give them a go once I've measured my seat stays.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Yeah a beam rack. I see what you mean now, a kind of extension piece from the main rack which then clamps to the seat post rather than extension bars onto the frame?

Wait. I'm confused. I've just read up a bit and you say you have a tortec ultralite, which is this:

tour-ultralite-rear-pannier-rack-29610.jpg

while a beam rack is this:

topeak%20beam%20rack%20ex%2004.jpg

The tortec ultralite is one of the most versatile racks out there, really great, but a beam rack won't work with a seat post rack mount, which looks like this:

mpart%20spt102.jpg

whereas the tortec will.
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Wait. I'm confused. I've just read up a bit and you say you have a tortec ultralite, which is this:

tour-ultralite-rear-pannier-rack-29610.jpg

while a beam rack is this:

topeak%20beam%20rack%20ex%2004.jpg

The tortec ultralite is one of the most versatile racks out there, really great, but a beam rack won't work with a seat post rack mount, which looks like this:

mpart%20spt102.jpg

whereas the tortec will.

I confused myself there :roll:

I had a beam rack previously but brought the TorRec yesterday and fitted it today. It seems the Trek 7.5wsd frame just doesn't like it.
  • Ahhhh there we go! :D

Try the seat post clamp - it is a great way of sorting out rack mounting on small compact frames, or on WSD bikes.

You can (just) see it in action on the photo of my bowery linked in my signature.
  • NGale
    Ahhhh there we go! :D

Try the seat post clamp - it is a great way of sorting out rack mounting on small compact frames, or on WSD bikes.

You can (just) see it in action on the photo of my bowery linked in my signature.

ta will have to give that a try. See what I can find at The Bike Shed on Friday. The rack as it is will be ok, just looks wrong at the moment and just want it to look right and sit properly
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I am surprised this isn't fitting - fits my g/f's Trek 1.2 beautifully. Are you sliding the rack all the way back on the top mounting struts? Got a picture?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    It could be worse. You could have bought a Blackburn rack.

I didn't have a problem fitting a rack to my Trek 7.5fx.
    The rack sits horizontal.

Maybe fitting racks is not your forte?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    When I fitted my pannier rack I had to drill new screw holes in the top plate to get it level.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • NGale
    Ahhhh there we go! :D

Ta muchly, just ordered a new seat clamp from Wiggle.

By all accounts the clamp can be filed down a bit (due to the ridge inside) and used as a secondary clamp further up the seat post is needed. Hopefully not though
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    My "P" rings arrived - perfect!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Agent57 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I had that problem.... I ended up just fastening the rack on one side :-)