Winter shopping list - help

2»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Gonna research the Fenix range, it won't be getting dark until the end of September so there's still time.

I have the L2D, if you want to borrow it to try for a few evenings just ask.

Does it have a flashing mode?

If it does I'll probably just buy it at the end of September ready for winter proper.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Gonna research the Fenix range, it won't be getting dark until the end of September so there's still time.

I have the L2D, if you want to borrow it to try for a few evenings just ask.

Does it have a flashing mode?

If it does I'll probably just buy it at the end of September ready for winter proper.

A STROBE mode...mental flashing!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I still need race blade advice. I'm not completely sold on crud catchers.

Does the Giant SCR not take proper guards?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yes but his rider's OCD (Obsessive cool dissorder) cannot abide guards. The Crud catchers look almost acceptable but they're not called blades. (Yes that is my only reason).

I remember in Cycling Plus they were advertising so uber thin, in offensive, race blades that were incredibly light. Can anyone remember those?

Cool! Even better, that'll be a nice present for me when I get back from Portugal.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yes but his rider's OCD (Obsessive cool dissorder) cannot abide guards. The Crud catchers look almost acceptable but they're not called blades. (Yes that is my only reason).

OMG.

That is all.
    Rules are for fools.
  • Waddlie wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If possible please could you make suggestions as to what I should get and where from?

Multipack of C02 cartridges
    Multipack of innertubes
    Race blades

Bright front light

Thank you in advance

for front light, your going to struggle with run time, my commute is under 30mins so £50 gets me a Fenix L2D which runs at full for 45mins ish, and lights the way though unlit Royal parks mainly so I don't run into deer! but also is bright enough that traffic clearly notices it.

Rather depends on the light and how you use it. I'm sure somone'll be along in a minute to tell you to get a somethingorothrer from hong kong, where apparently they pay you to take their lights away, but FWIW, my Hope 1 will run easily for several hours if you don't run it on max all the time (which would be unnecessay even on unlit roads. When the batteries do expire, it's easy enough to change them since they're only AAs. I believe spare battery packs for other lamps can be got.

+1 for the Hope. Use good rechargeable AAs and it'll easily handle an all-night ride.

+ another 1 for the Hope. Evans will price match Tredz at £66.95. The blinky is bright for a blinky and I never need more than power setting 2 on constant even when doing 25-30mph down unlit duel carriageway. I also have a very cheap very lightweight blinky on my helmet - thes are great for staring at drivers when they're about to pull out from a side road in front of you. The Topeak Headlux looks pretty funky...

Another +1 for the Hope Vision 1.

Most of my commute is on unlit roads and country lanes. Only use the light upto setting 2 (of 4) and best compliment I can give the light is that cars wait at junctions for me to pass rather than rushing to pull out before I get there. It does not need to be on flash as it is bright enough.

If I was commuting in London I would still have this light.

Also, get good rechargable batteries and this will keep the cost down.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    SKS Race blades are fine, very easy to take on and off at a whim and they protect you from surface water... not much more to it really

after timeand grime taking them on and off will get your hands dirty... plus they come in different colours, but black is the only choice really
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Clever Pun wrote:
    SKS Race blades are fine, very easy to take on and off at a whim and they protect you from surface water... not much more to it really

after timeand grime taking them on and off will get your hands dirty... plus they come in different colours, but black is the only choice really

Generally very happy with mine, but You need to check behind the little rubber pads, as grit can work its way down between them and the frame, then grind its way through the paintwork. I now have 4 pairs of little bald patches on my frame - could be avoided with some of those frame saver sticky jobbies I think.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    edited August 2010
    On second thoughts DDD, I think the Giant has mudguard mounts IIRC, so some full SKS Chromoplastics might be better still - no chance of frame damage and more secure, so can be fitted a bit closer to the wheel. No biggie to just leave them on all winter (helps with the FCN).

EDIT: Doh! Covered already by TWH. Having said that DDD, proper guards are better, won't break unless you wallop them (the Cruds are deliberately quite flimsy - see previous explanations) and will protect more of the bike. Not wanting to be cruel, but if you were really worried about cool, you'd have a bike without mudguard mounts - like mine :twisted: 8)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I remember in Cycling Plus they were advertising so uber thin, in offensive, race blades that were incredibly light. Can anyone remember those?

Cool! Even better, that'll be a nice present for me when I get back from Portugal.

It was the Roadracers they were advertising.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011