Rider down on the NKR

jonginge
jonginge Posts: 5,945
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Ambulance and police in attendance. Rider was immobile, hopefully a precaution on the part of the ambulance crew prior to moving him.

Hope he's ok. Take care people.
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

Comments

• What's the NKR?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    North Korean Republic

(or New Kings Road, London)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    What's the NKR?

New Kings Road.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    New Kent Road?
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Before the wall came down, we all used to be one big long KR.

Now, it's all OKR this and NKR that!
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    NKR:Generally a mislaid 3km of tarmac covered with deteriorating patch repairs, white vans and sloan mothers in 4x4's not looking where they're going.

I didn't ride in today so didn't spot a thing but I hope the riders ok.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    JonGinge wrote:
    Ambulance and police in attendance. Rider was immobile, hopefully a precaution on the part of the ambulance crew prior to moving him.

Hope he's ok. Take care people.

Where abouts?
  • jonginge
    Round about here:
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=52 ... 76548&lm=0

Between the Duke of Cumberland and the temporary traffic lights.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • W1
    JonGinge wrote:
    Round about here:
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=52 ... 76548&lm=0

Between the Duke of Cumberland and the temporary traffic lights.

Thanks - that's now The Duke on the Green!

It was chaos down there last night what with the rain and the traffic lights. Must have happened very shortly after I came through if it was 7ish.

The road surface along that stretch is an utter disgrace. Also lots of turnings ripe for left hooks, and cars turing out without looking.
  • jonginge
    I went through 7:30ish.

Agreed, not a great stretch of road. I got left-hooked there a couple of years back going the other way.

I keep on forgetting the new name for the Duke. Been a while since I've been in there
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • W1
    JonGinge wrote:

Agreed, not a great stretch of road. I got left-hooked there a couple of years back going the other way.

I keep on forgetting the new name for the Duke. Been a while since I've been in there

Your post was at 7:22pm - I knew you were quick, but reversing time?!

You're not missing much at the Duke.

I've seen a couple of ambulances on that stretch attending to cyclists - it would be a lot safer if they resurfaced it properly so it wasn't necessary to avoid all the holes and ruts.
  • Ah but forum time does not equal actual time... it doesn't allow for DST.
  • jonginge
    W1 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I've seen a couple of ambulances on that stretch attending to cyclists - it would be a lot safer if they resurfaced it properly so it wasn't necessary to avoid all the holes and ruts.
    Ahem, I think you'll find the post was 8:22 BST. Check your user preferences ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • W1
    JonGinge wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Ahem, I think you'll find the post was 8:22 BST. Check your user preferences ;)

Ah, right. How confusing.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I had an accident outside the Duke last week. Car in front braked for the crossing, I had loads of time/space to brake on time but as I did so a drafter crashed into the back of me and slammed me into the back of the car. No harm done to me, but still. Its a pretty narrow road with as you say lots of turnings etc... and cyclists do go down there relatively fast and at times in quite high numbers. Its no surprise that its a bit of an accident black spot.
  • W1
    notsoblue wrote:
    I had an accident outside the Duke last week. Car in front braked for the crossing, I had loads of time/space to brake on time but as I did so a drafter crashed into the back of me and slammed me into the back of the car. No harm done to me, but still. Its a pretty narrow road with as you say lots of turnings etc... and cyclists do go down there relatively fast and at times in quite high numbers. Its no surprise that its a bit of an accident black spot.

There are a number of danger-zones on that stretch. The pinch-points need a primary position to avoid the "squeezers". There are busses and bus stops, plus often parked cars/lorries. It's narrow and badly surfaced. That zone by the Duke is particulary dangerous, being a junction, a ped crossing, a bus stop and leading up to traffic lights. It's a prime area for a left or right hook.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Car I was following through the road works this morning clipped a traffic island and dropped his spare wheel into the middle of the road. He then continued almost all the way to the Green with the wheel-support-thingy rattling along the road and me waving frantically through his rear window...
    Pannier, 120rpm.