Daily food intake..

pitchshifter
pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Just started commuting 20 miles a day. Not paying train fares is offset by the amount I spend on food....

Today I have consumed the following...

7:30am Rice Crispies :D
9:00am Porridge
9:30am 2x Cereal bars
11:00am Sandwich
01:00pm Lasagne (generous portion from last nights left overs)

Now I have sat down to a Tuna baguette and an apple cake from pret with a hope I dont bonk on the way home tonight..

What does everyone else have? Anyone got any tips for high calorie/energy foods that will keep me going?

I am far from fat. If anything I need to add a few pounds :? : ..

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I could easily eat that every day, and I don't commute by bike! I'm 6 foot and weigh 10 stone, so god knows where it all goes. I'm dreading when I start doing the 30 mile round trip to work on the bike, I'll easily spend more on food than I save in petrol! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    You hope you don't bonk on the way home tonight? You have sex addiction problems?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • pitchshifter
    SimonAH wrote:
    You hope you don't bonk on the way home tonight? You have sex addiction problems?

thats what the tuna is for :P
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Cycle to work:
    Coffee
    Baguette or noodle salad with crisps, oj and a flapjack
    Banana
    Cycle Home:
    Home cooked meal
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    all of that plus 2 apples, a pear, a chocolate bar, packet of crisps and I've got a couple of bananas for the afternoon and just before I leave.

Get home and the feeding frenzy will begin, tonight I think it will be;-

large portion of rice
    5 meatballs (or whatever else is left in fridge)
    large portion of broccoli

toast
    yoghurt and maybe a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes.
  • 20 miles a day wont be burning an alarming number of calories to be honest, unless you are doing it with the brakes on?
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Cycle in (13.5)

7:45-ish cereal, banana, green tea

10:00 cheese sandwich, celery/carrot 'batons'

12:00 whatever leftovers I have

3:00 apple, dried fruit, nuts, seeds

Cycle home (13.7)

5:45-ish - whatever is for dinner - usually a fairly big meal

9:30 - muesli or natural yoghurt

This is enough to keep me going. Eat a lot more at the weekend when I've got time to do more cooking.

Don't neglect your fruit and veg....
  • pitchshifter
    20 miles a day wont be burning an alarming number of calories to be honest, unless you are doing it with the brakes on?

It shouldn't. Think my high metabolism is partly to blame...

After discovering where the toaster is at work I am going to start eating copious amounts of toast with slabs of nuttella on throughout the day...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Just started commuting 20 miles a day. Not paying train fares is offset by the amount I spend on food....

Today I have consumed the following...

7:30am Rice Crispies :D
    9:00am Porridge
    9:30am 2x Cereal bars
    11:00am Sandwich
    01:00pm Lasagne (generous portion from last nights left overs)

Now I have sat down to a Tuna baguette and an apple cake from pret with a hope I dont bonk on the way home tonight..

What does everyone else have? Anyone got any tips for high calorie/energy foods that will keep me going?

I am far from fat. If anything I need to add a few pounds :? : ..

:shock:

Love to know how many calories that adds up to. I reckon it exceeds your normal daily intake and the extra from cycling.
  • pitchshifter
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Love to know how many calories that adds up to. I reckon it exceeds your normal daily intake and the extra from cycling.

With a can of coke, a can of sparkling apple juice and pulling some general figures of the internet my current total is only 2497 calories.

I am having curry tonight I have been told, half a pint of milk with Nesquick when i get in.

Probably only pushing 3500 calories. Need to eat more I recon..

Edit: Forgot porridge
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    It's so upsetting to hear about all you folk who trough like rampant porkers and don't put on a pound. If I go 1kcal over about 2,000 a day I balloon. It's just not fair.

I mostly keep a very close eye on what I eat during the week, and allow myself the weekends off. That keeps my lardy-ness in check.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I cycle ~30 miles a day. I don't eat much more than you and I'm a "pillowy" 13st at 6'1". You'd be surprised how few calories cycling burns :)
  • pitchshifter
    At the tender age of 23, I still have time to catch up Secret Sam..
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    good lord man!

I thought I ate a lot.....

Maybe time to swap those rice crispies for the porridge before you leave the house.....wait...do you mean one of these stupid little packets of porridgeshapedobject that you fill with milk and put in the micro?

Get them tae f**k and make yourself a proper bowl of vitamin p before you leave the house....a 3/4 pint of milk portion should see you right! and put stuff in it....like honey, banana, nuts.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • pitchshifter
    cee wrote:
    good lord man!

wait...do you mean one of these stupid little packets of porridgeshapedobject that you fill with milk and put in the micro?

Guilty as charged... :shock:
  • At the tender age of 23, I still have time to catch up Secret Sam..

Ahhhh just you wait! My little brother was a beanpole at 23, could eat whatever the hell he wanted. Everyone told him it'd change when he hit 25-ish, and he thought that was daft.

Then he hit 25 and it did.

Pleased? Me? Never.... :twisted:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Ahhhh just you wait! My little brother was a beanpole at 23, could eat whatever the hell he wanted. Everyone told him it'd change when he hit 25-ish, and he thought that was daft.

People kept telling me that, I hit 25, nothing changed :)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'm so glad you aren't my sister :D

However, I can't wait til my nieces get to 25+ :twisted:

Aidy, you're an aberration :roll:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    notsoblue wrote:
    I cycle ~30 miles a day. I don't eat much more than you and I'm a "pillowy" 13st at 6'1". You'd be surprised how few calories cycling burns :)

Your not riding hard enough then :D
  • pitchshifter

When that day comes, I will be ready!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    "when you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like and still slip into your 26" waist jeans and zip them closed. Then you reach that age, 24, 25 and the muscles give up, waive a little white flag and without any warning at all you're suddenly a fat bastard"

Arnold Rimmer and laterCarter USM
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I'm so glad you aren't my sister :D

However, I can't wait til my nieces get to 25+ :twisted:

Aidy, you're an aberration :roll:

but you love me anyway ;)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :P :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    edited August 2010
    Aidy wrote:

People kept telling me that, I hit 25, nothing changed :)

Ditto. My boss in particular. Nearly 9 years later and I'm probably thinner now than I was then. I did fill out a bit in between, but it's all gone again. Boss has changed his prediction to 'when you reach middle age..."
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

There is a God.

Given your family history, how do you retain that apparently svelte figure, other than riding (bikes)?? Please don't tell me you're a gym-junkie, you'd go down in my estimation (I'm giving clues as to the reasons for my lardiness, aren't I???)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • That's not a lot of food really my intake varies greatly from zero to immense. I have a active job so. I do burn it off, and would quite happly put the OP's amount away for lunch!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    37. Still eat like a (particularly hungry) horse. Still a thin bastard. So there.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • SecretSam wrote:

There is a God.

Given your family history, how do you retain that apparently svelte figure, other than riding (bikes)?? Please don't tell me you're a gym-junkie, you'd go down in my estimation (I'm giving clues as to the reasons for my lardiness, aren't I???)

It's not a very svelte figure, for starters. I'm definitely a 14, 16 in some shops, especially on the top half.

I've lost a fair amount of weight the past few years, mostly just by eating less and exercising more. I go through phases of going to the gym, but they always wear off.
  • seems most peeps here eat lots to enable them to cycle lots. It's the other way round for me. I'm about to get my snack on...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    People kept telling me that I wouldn't be able to eat like I do as I get older. So far, I've proved them wrong.

My routine is:
    1st breakfast
    Porridge or museli
    Fruit salad

Ride to work (7)

2nd breakfast
    2x bacon
    2x sausages
    2x toast
    Baked beans
    OJ
    Hot Chocolate

Tea and biscuits for 11ses

Lunch
    Can drink
    Lasagne (or whatever else is on in the canteen)
    Chips (often, staff canteen after all)
    Salad
    Desert (the cook makes a fantastic Spotted Dick with custard)

About an hour before I leave for home I usually have:
    Banana (or two)
    Tea and biscuits
    Maybe some crisps and/or chocolate

Ride home (7)

Dinner
    Something fillng (e.g. Spag Bol)
    Yoghurt

Pre bedtime snacks usually include a sandwich and/or bowl of cereal and some fruit.

All washed down with lots of water.

I weigh around 12 stone (I'm about 6'1") and have to eat at least that to keep my weight up to where it is now.
    The chef at work said his mission is to make me fat. He left with his mission still unaccomplished.

After L2B2L the above increased and I was still always hungry. The people who said my weight would ballon as I got older still can't believe I can eat like this at my age (36) and with my physique (adonislike).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!